Dark Souls 2 Crashes

about everything
  • Author

Re: Dark Souls 2 Crashes

Less crashing than before but still quite a lot, first crash I had just warped to Majula it lets me just see my character then crash, this was after maybe an hour of gameplay with no problems then I am at the chariot boss and upon death I crash, then I'm at the spider boss and try to summon, upon touching the summon sign I crash. It doesn't seem to be location specific at all.

Guys I found out how to get the performance back to normal when using windows 98/95 compatibility mode.

It automatically puts the game process to use 1 core of your CPU. So you will have to set it back to use all your cores again.

So to put everything in one post I will remind you that if you have crashes, in order to play on windows 8 without crashes (or at least most of the time, played for 15 minutes and teleported several time and no crash, I crashed 90 % of the time before)

You have to put the game to windows 98 or 95 compatibility mode.

Your game will then save in different location which is : C:/ProgramData/DarkSoulsII

So in order to play your old save you have to copy it from C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\DarkSoulsII and put it in the above mentioned folder instead.

Then after launching the game to main menu, alt+tab it and launch task manager, find DarkSoulsII.exe process and set core affinity to your maximum number of cores instead of 1.

an example:

(not my pictues, taken from another random site, CBA to take them myself, I know many of you may know how to do things like these but Im trying to help potential users who don't)

*master*

Hi guys, I tested the official version (257), (this) , not the various fixes made after, and I discovered that playing with NT4 mode, the game seems not to crash.
Now I try other modalities and I let you know, I noticed that though it is a bit slower ... but playable :)

Edit 1: was not a bit slower, I had the game locked at 40 FPS, now I've unlocked the fps and the game runs perfectly without crashing, but using NT4 mode ... :) sorry for my english...

Edit 2: only NT4 mode, Windows xp mode Not work...

*sensei*

I'm using Win95 mode now and it works, yes.
After setting affinity it's running better, but still slower than in the 1/10 chance when ENB loads without compatibility mode.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Another test

EDIT: file deleted

*sensei*

Sorry Boris, also crashes.

Could there be any reason why forcing ancient compatibility modes would change something?
I mean, you're obviously trying to find out what's wrong and I'm thankful, it's just so strange, that it's just a few users where something this obscure works.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

This can be just statistical errors when testing. Well, another test on it's way

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Another test 5

EDIT: file deleted

*sensei*

Of course it can be, but I'd say it's highly unlikely.

Before, I'd start the game 5 times and it would crash each and every time.
In Win95 comp. mode I start it 5 times and it works everytime and I haven't had a single crash yet.
And it's working for the other guys as well.

I'll try your test5 right now. Will be back in a few minutes.

*sensei*

Test5:

No crashes, but also no ENB indication, no startup delay and no menu.