VR mod

about everything
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

VR mod

Ive got suggestion to ask preset makers to share my patreon link if they are interested in VR versions for Fallout4 and SkyrimSE. I dont know anything about programming for these and as can see VR games are not popular because hardware is very uncomfortable yet and costly. I dont know what to do with this request, im sure there will be very few people who will use my mod for VR (also because of performance loss), to spend several weeks or months to develop again is not so fun way to waste life and dont think for personal usage helmet will be useful much for me after i will beat few games (like Tomb Raider VR or No One Lives Forever 2 VR). From other side, SKyrim have many fans and they may purchase VR helmets to feel inside the game (and look at ugly characters without proper subsurface scattering, huh).

Re: VR mod

Personally, I couldn't care less about SkyrimVR.

I think making an ENB for a game so few people can play is a waste of resources.

And since ENB is made only by you Boris, it would detract away from time that could be spent on enhancing the ENB for SSE.

I agree with Pritster5, steamdb.info shows that 16,833 people have played Skyrim Classic and 12,881 for SSE within the past 24 hours. I doubt VR will it anywhere near those numbers, also the hardware requirements for VR + ENB would limit a lot of users.

Edit: Also Steam's HWSurvey shows that the average for VR hardware ownership on Steam is .14% (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey -Source). Also the most played VR game I could find was VRChat, it had a peak of 6,487 players in the past 24 hours. This game can be played without a VR headset so I'm guessing these numbers are inflated but no way of knowing by what %.

If you want to push your patreon to a wider audience I would recommend you use sites with a larger user base like Reddit's r/Skyrim. Contact the moderators there and prove to them who you are, they are nice people. They may be willing to work with you on an announcement of your patreon, their community has almost half a million subscribers.

Anyone else have ideas?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

DaveCFatal
Meh, i am not somebody who ask for such things with no real need in investments to modding above VR topic. People who appreciate my work will donate anyway and i dont want to feel that own something to anybody. I am not some sexy girl to show my ass for money.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Not a big VR fan myself. Somewhat waiting to see if it will get more polished/refined over the years.

*master*

I'm the opposite. I like VR. It has lots of potential, and even at the moment it's quite good. Fallout 4 in VR is much better than plain Fallout 4, mostly because Fallout 4's stupid simplifications make a lot more sense when you're an invisible camera shooting a floating gun with a floating terminal that acts as a real-time menu when you bring it to your face. The biggest other games on the platform all rely on other people to make the fun, and count on the novelty and social aspect to carry them the rest of the way, so Bethesda's games will have the whole niche of RPG-immersive-simulator to themselves as they normally do and probably attract every other person who gets a headset to buy them.

In that sense, I don't think it's a waste of time. However, you cannot see your own player character in either Bethesda game. There is no third person mode. In Fallout 4, using tfc will even crash the game, so there is no free camera. Furthermore, the framerate in VR is very, very important. Because of SteamVR, they do a lot to smooth out framerates that fall under the target of 90FPS, and will try to lock it at a playable 45 that is then interpolated to 90. Going below that for any long period of time will make you feel physically sick, like you've been wearing someone else's glasses while falling off a cliff. I think that cuts out a big chunk of the reasons people normally play these games.

Taking these into account, it's a bit questionable whether a graphics mod would be in high demand. As far as I've seen in Fallout 4, SSAO, SSR, godrays and maybe other intensive graphical effects are removed/disabled by default. If regular Fallout 4's ENB had worked, I would've said "Great!" and tore out everything but the tonemapping, adaptation, and bloom from my preset, because that is all it warrants. (It uses an entirely different set of shaders from the regular game, as far as I can tell.) Moreover, graphical effects with certain artifacts look obviously fake in VR. This is especially noticeable when it comes to SSAO, which is unfortunately used in many Unity games, and can also be toggled in the F4 console to poor effect. Also, Fallout 4 has no F4SE support, and I suspect Skyrim won't get SKSE64 either, as they are different builds of the engine and I don't think anyone on the *SE team has a headset to incite working on the thing to start with.

Fallout 4 is lucky enough to look decent enough with just a few in-engine mods on it. I'm not sure I can say it really needs anything. Skyrim is a whole other story, as it looks so awful to begin with, and I'm sure it'll be played quite a lot by anyone with an interest in RPGs. As I said, I think it's pretty likely that anyone who gets a headset is probably going to get one of these games at some point, unless something comes along to boot them out of their niche.

Sidenote: Oculus has the best implementation of a desktop in VR. Doing work in it is interesting. Whether you mind that Facebook is watching is another thing.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Of course VR users will buy Skyrim VR, they buy any relatively good game, because there are no many serious VR games available. But do they need mod and will be more people who are fans of Skyrim who will buy helmet just for it - that is under big doubt.

Never tried that VR stuff, but oh my god i would defenetly drop a few $ on a helmet and PC upgrade IF there would be ENB for SkyrimVR.
Personally i can't even imagine playing Skyrim without ENB, it's just feels like.. i dunno.. completely another game.
Also i'm pretty sure that SkyrimVR would be pretty popular due to Loverslab community with all that nasty adult stuff, it's just matter of time, i guess.

Since VR is all about optimization and FPS
I'm not sure people will use a ENB now.

I think the best approach right now is to wait for the SkyrimVR community to develop.
If the demand becomes worth of Mr.Boris time them a ENBVR should be considered.

*sensei*

First of all, you will still need a quite beefy rig to run VR, so in a way, VR is niche. And drop an ENB on top of that and it becomes even more resource demanding, making it even more niche.
VR is cool, but atm not worth the significant amount of money it demands.

I'd also say wait and see how big Skyrim VR becomes before spending time and resources on something that only a handful of gamers can appreciate.
CGI ENB