Gaming at 30fps (double frames,stuttering) PC

about everything
  • Author

Re: Gaming at 30fps (double frames,stuttering) PC

maybe you did not include a vertical sync?

Strangely enough, I do not have vertical sync enabled, FPS jumps depending on the situation in the scene.
http://youtu.be/DB1VBYaVcfE (limit of 60 fps recording Fraps).

Maybe you should try to change some settings in Skyrim.ini. Something to do with the buffer. Share your configuration files of both =) try to solve your problem.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

That's no vertical syncronization artifact. The stuttering is different by nature and how it looks and relative to multithreading problems.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I notice that i have some stuttering when I'm dragging open folder or any video player through desktop
This is how no vertical sync looks like. Also hardware drawed overlay surfaces. Ignore this, it happen frequenly for video software as they using overlay to increase performance a bit.

From video i guess it's related to reading from hdd. Turn off antivirus and check if at those lags led of hdd activity is blinking. Also this can be wrong multithreading code (as deus ex have same shit as skyrim), run the game with my patch for it and/or in application manager force to it single core only.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

If forced to single core do the same, then it's not because of multicore problems (and even not installed cpu patch, if required). Btw i didn't saw "double image effect" from deus ex video and from skyrim, it just lagging at some moments. That doubling (as described at first post) is only by horizon divided? Then it's vertical sync, perhaps disabled in nvidia control panel or catalyst control center (force enable it or choose application controlled). From video you see the same artifact, because video surface also not syncronized to monitor refresh rate. I'm using CRT display, but i guess that no vsync looks very ugly on lcd (inertial too much).

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I've tried to disable Vsync but the problem still there
No, you must enable vsync. Try to remember if you did installation of some tweaking tools for videocard, they may force setting even ignoring what is in catalyst control center.
my monitor displays that doubling no mater where i look up\down or left\right
I mean that two frames doubled are split by horizon and not at same place everywhere.

here is the example of no vsync, look at 0:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ZhDGTVm4M

and here the test, if no vsync, the line will be split^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ZhDGTVm4M

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Have you seen the beginning engine based "movie" of gta 3 game or latest alan wake first level? Is that same ghosting? If yes, i'm absolutely out of ideas, because it must appear also at any frame rate with modern displays (not all). Even if you go closer to 1/2 of display refresh rate, this not look like you have described. Or it is for lcd??? Hmm... Force refresh rate of display to some value which not divide in to integer type, for example 60 hz and fps limiter 25 fps or 100 hz at 42 fps.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

That video is smooth and correct. At least, could you say if this always happen for you from beginning? It's may be really monitor problem or inproper internal driver preset. If you are on Win7 or Vista, disable aero, then grab any window and move it on screen. If it's also "doubling", then it's display. If it's not, you can make video with some moving object at different frame rate to foolish buggy "device". And more than that, if you will do video with 60 frames per second, but it will be actually 30 fps with cloned twice frames, then also possible to check if that display problem or not. I don't have time for this now, but ask some user with 3d studio max or other software like that for making moving object videos as described. Many users saying about lagging when vsync enabled, but it's so stupid to hear for me... now i'm very interested to know wtf???

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

This bug can be only because:
1) modern displays with huge delays for displaying pixels on screen (especially those, which doesn't have angle view problem, delay is much bigger for them).
2) video driver simply outputs incorrect frames. never saw this in practice, except while playing hd video compressed with some specific options (may be progressive scan?)