TES Skyrim 0.251

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author

Re: TES Skyrim 0.251

Why are people jumping on the skse guy instead of boris for making the unnecessary change

Question, for some reason when I run Skyrim ENBHost doesn't run. It used to but now it doesn't so I probably messed something up. It doesn't run for Fallout either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

*sensei*

ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true in your enblocal.ini?

Arkngt wrote:
Furball wrote:Considering it had an off switch anyway...
Well, everything in ENB is optional, i.e. has off switches, so that says precisely nothing.
Maybe I was not clear enough, what I was trying to say there was .. Lets put that quote back into the whole again ..
And he must have had a good reason to remove it besides blaming this one person - Considering it had an off switch anyway, and the conflicting software is only an alpha.
Boris had no need to remove it at all, having an off switch anyone can use ( false setting )

So I believe he had another reason for removing it besides the alpha software and person complaining, I think 'person complaining' is just a scapegoat for a deeper problem Boris found with ExpandSystemMemoryX64 which he has not shared with us. It would not be the first time we have seen that happen in those silent updates eh ?

I mean if Boris started removing things because they conflict with other software out there ( stable releases not just alphas which may not happen ), I am sure there would be quite a few other cuts from ENB could be made too.

Removing it just because of this complaint does not make sense to me.

I do not use the feature so it does not matter whether it comes back or not as far as I am concerned.

I just think the reason for its removal sounds weak to me.
Last edited by Furball on 28 Feb 2014, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

myztikrice wrote:Why are people jumping on the skse guy instead of boris for making the unnecessary change
Because nobody wants to upset the toymaker.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Furball
You obviously weren't around when ENBoost was still in development. Lots of things left and came back during that time, and they still do on occasion. Let's just see how this plays out.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I will just toss out I would be happy to see it added back. I know it has helped my own game run smoother. However, I can live without, and it is Boris's tool to do with as he likes and I think we all need to respect that.

Somewhat off topic ... Everyone is probably aware of this but sometimes it seems like a few people forget Boris does this all for free. Not just Skyrim but many other games as well. All of it. All the ENB code for many games. All Free. Volunteer, his own time, did I say free? It is. My own personal feeling and behavior, when it comes to working with anyone that provides a free service like this ... and this includes all the MOD Authors on Nexus as well ... is that when someone does something for you for free, using their own time, that you do treat them with respect and courtesy and show appreciation.

Polite and constructive feedback is good as is reporting bugs. But blame, negativity, overt criticism is not something I would ever use. When I give feedback to a mod author it is done very politely as I know they owe me nothing. I am entitled to nothing. I have no rights of ownership. If I don't like the response or the mod I don't make a stink I just say thanks for listening and leave. No one is forced to use any mod or ENB for that matter. I know a lot of great mod authors who left Nexus and modding because what they got for donating some of their time was a lot of headaches from users.

Anyhow this seemed like a good time to just point out Boris has done a lot to make all our games look better, and run smoother, and he has done it, basically, for free giving up his own time to the many gaming communities that use his ENB code. I for one am very thankful for that as I can't imaging every playing Fallout or Skyrim without an ENB preset running :)

Uriel24 wrote:ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true in your enblocal.ini?
Yes, for both games.

Messing with the other memory lines, I have stopped my CTD/ILS.
I initially started with the previous .251 that had the expandsystemmemoryx64.
Setting the line to false I had crashes and freezes.
Here is where I finally resolved;
Pre
[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true // setting this to false caused CTD/ILS
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=true
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false

Installed the latest ENB that has the ExpandSystemMemoryX64 removed and kept my other values. 45 minutes of running around, fast travel, interior/exterior transitions. I appear to be stable again.

I use the SKSE 1.7a. Perhaps there is something there that is in conflict.
Removing the line entirely, I don't believe was a suitable alteration. There is going to be those rare individuals that will not install SKSE for whatever reason. And ENBoost is going to be their choice for memory management.
Really all Boris had to do is tell the individual(s), that if it is conflicting, then set it to false.

@pangallosr

Changing DisableDriverMemoryManager to false means you're now using your video card driver's memory manager, instead of the video memory manager that Boris made.

As I understand it, he made his own video memory manager to work with his Nvidia card, and then added this toggle to help with better compatibility for AMD users (so they can allow their installed driver to manage video memory.)

EDIT: Apologies - I was mistaken on the above reason DisableDriverMemoryManager was added. The correct story is that Boris added his own alternative video memory manager as an option to help AMD users with "bad" drivers.

However, whether his video memory manager will work better for you highly depends on the make of your card and your installed drivers, according all Boris' comments that I've read.
Last edited by keithinhanoi on 01 Mar 2014, 10:25, edited 5 times in total.