TES Skyrim 0.153

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author

Re: TES Skyrim 0.153

Uriel24 wrote:
DigitalPrinceX wrote:Modders are also trying to create collision for rain through creation kit. But this method requires editing each and every place that can be considered as shelter. So it becomes incompatible with any mod that changes the areas. Also the edited effect is merely a trigger to initialize a distant LOD kind of rain effect when under a shed and turning off the actual rain effect.
The problem here is that modders will still need to mark shelters even if Boris will find some awesome way to cull raindrops. Because otherwise there will be no way to detect that your character is in the shelter, and that rain outside the shelter is not reaching him because it's raindrops are being blocked by another Boris's incantation.

But who cares! Would be great to see the proper rain in Skyrim.
Also, that damn rain is not that rare even in vanilla Skyrim, not rare at all i must say.
Hi.

On the rain thing.. I didnt imagine that the cell will need editing for it cause occluding the rain is kind of like casting the shadow but instead of light its the rain visibility. Besides, it was my understanding that the enb does not interface with the game in a way that it can detect day/night status in the same way of vampire mechanics, etc. So likewise it would not be using markers.

I am wondering if the enb can control the appearance of snow either?

But. IF we have rain stopping from a roof then we want of course a sound effect for rain stopping on a roof. where applicable. and that would call for cell editing.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

You're right, there would be no need to edit anything. But what kind of sounds is rain supposed to make on a thatched roof? Not much, I would imagine...

I don't myself care about rain occlusion at all because it's more or less a gameplay enhanccement instead of a graphical one, but I guess there are quite a few people for whom it would be a significant improvement.

*sensei*

Ok, looks like my english has failed here. I meant that mods like "Hypothermia Camping Survival" will not benefit from ENB's rain occluding because it's not possible to find out if player is in some kind of shelter or not.

Uriel24 wrote:Ok, looks like my english has failed here. I meant that mods like "Hypothermia Camping Survival" will not benefit from ENB's rain occluding because it's not possible to find out if player is in some kind of shelter or not.
That's not true. Frostfall already does detect if you're "in shelter" or not.

*sensei*

Well that escalated quickly !
We are talking about a completely visual eyecandy here right?
We dont need the game to actually detect if rain is dropping through object. That is completely another subject
In my previous post i was only saying what modders are trying to do to simulate this effect.

But if this can be done by the means of shaders then we dont need such mods. Its just a visual immersion thing that many modern games are missing.
Sound :: Creative X-Fi Titanium

*sensei*

Regarding mods having to do something special for their shelters to be detected for culling, NOT SO. This is because the VAST majority of mods re-use Bethesda's stock NIF models for their custom structures, which should already have appropriate values for detection. The process of creating original meshes and importing them through NIFTools via Blender or 3D Max is sufficiently convoluted and complex so as to be exclusive to the majority of modders, and thus, the very few modders creating custom models for shelters, would likely find it no problem to make one additional consideration for rain culling geometry in the process.

Second, with regard to "rain noise," this would be a VERY simple one-size-fits-all mod since the game scripting language already has an accessible function for detecting weather. If this (rain culling) ever became a reality, I would happily create a mod which would account for rain sound correctly for 99% of situations.

But even without rain sound (outside the general effect of it raining), the enhancement of IMMERSION in this RPG fantasy game, which is what so many love about the Elder Scrolls and why it is so highly in demand, would be absolutely HUGE.

It is entirely up to you if you want to consider working on such a project, and I would not put pressure on you, as it is your time and your work. But as others have said it would be greatly appreciated.

I have been meaning to donate when I can get some extra funds together, not that it is why you do this, but I have a feeling that if such a feature ever came into play, simply because as someone said so many have been asking for it for so long (since Morrowind), there would be many others that might not have otherwise sending you their thanks.

Phinix wrote:Regarding mods having to do something special for their shelters to be detected for culling, NOT SO. This is because the VAST majority of mods re-use Bethesda's stock NIF models for their custom structures, which should already have appropriate values for detection. The process of creating original meshes and importing them through NIFTools via Blender or 3D Max is sufficiently convoluted and complex so as to be exclusive to the majority of modders, and thus, the very few modders creating custom models for shelters, would likely find it no problem to make one additional consideration for rain culling geometry in the process.

Hi!.

Im quite confident that there is no values for detection of rain. nifs have only the havok collision object that detects only havok collision objects and enables physics stuff like falling downward. It also gives u bounciness, sound effect, quality settings. There is different OL (oblivion layer from tes4 :D) settings u can put it on that is used by engine to differentiate statics from animated things for example but It does not make any sense that havok would have anything to do with the rain implementation. U just have rain or no rain. and animated texture on ur lake to appear that rain is hiting the lake, its on or off.

On side note. custom nifs are really not hard to make cause we got great tools for it and docs also. the artwork is the hard part. but i guess that is same in other areas of modding also.

when I use ENB in windowed mode (both injector or wrapper) , the enb gui flashes at the main menu then everything freezes. I have to use task manager to exit. Any ideas?

This happens even when launching from tesv.exe

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Don't know, steam version always start from launcher and when i tried old cracked patches, result was same. Such bugs appear when device states not handled properly, but it's in case of other d3d9 libraries or any hooking applications. Try SpeedHack=false.

I'm in frustration, did a lot of experiments with ssao optimization and almost all of them fail. Don't understand if it's my videocard specific problems or in general nvidia architecture acting like that, but what should really give huge boost have zero or negative impact. Probably i'll install radeon 6450, it have much more computation units and may be will show expected performance changes. If i'll break it for nvidia cards, don't blame me then.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Unbelievable! I expected difference between my old nvidia and new generation ati card (but with 8 times less memory bandwidth), but in important things for my optimizations they are acting almost indentical and don't allow to increase performance with smarter shader algorithms. In some tests radeon gave unlogical performance drop, it's case when such behavior simply impossible, instead of huge speedup got lower. I have reasons of multiple dead cards to not like nvidia, but ati is a worse piece of crap for complex shaders (complex is not long or with many texture reads). My hope to buy ati is ruined (nvidia gtx6xx not work with my sound card and motherboard, but i can't replace sound or motherboard because of video drivers conflict with nvidia chipset drivers). R.I.P. Ati/Amd, no longer support for them from me.