TES Skyrim SE 0.309 BETA

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*master*

Re: Skyrim SE

Electrocutor wrote:Instead of remaking ENB for Skyrim:SE, would it make more sense to start with ReShade as a base and work from there? I'm not sure if they'd be open to granting you access to their source to branch from or not.
No. ReShade is an entirely different process. ReShade only affects the image after the GPU has drawn the scene. It is a post process injector. ENB is different in that it hooks into the game engine and modifies game code on the fly as well as also being able to do post process effects like ReShade does. ENB is MUCH more complicated and powerful.

ENBSeries wrote:Okay okay, i'll try to do SSE first
Oh you russian babe you, thank you and please take your time. And enjoy yourself (I know thats hard to do these days :| )

I really wish I can help you. I'm just a beginner in programming and coding (taking classes in college now :oops: ) But its ok if you don't need help. At least you appreciate people wanting to help :)

*sensei*

@everyone forcing Boris to make ENB for SSE.
Really?.. :|
1. SSE is a cash grab for Beth. Target audience - current gen consoles.
2. Forget about good old mods. Lots of authors won't bother with porting&recompiling. Lots of other authors left modding. I reckon only 25-35% of all mods will be ported, and it will take insane amount of time. Mods with SKSE plugins - may not come out at all. Ever. I know for sure some SKSE plugin authors left the scene.
3. Difference between 2 versions visually - not that impressive. Fog aka volumetric bs all around, and higher saturation. Such remaster, much special, very edition, wow
4. It will take many months of very hard work to make new ENB mod for SSE. Old Skyrim ENB will stay superior in comparison for years. People who want beautiful visual experience will always choose old game.
5. Fallout 4 ENB is still work in progress. So Boris needs to make 2 mods, maybe sometimes similar, but still different, and both - hard asf to make.
6. Get off the hype train.

Only advantage of SSE - it has better performance.

@ENBSeries, you should work on it only if you have that much free time, man. But it's not worth it.

Xilandro wrote:@everyone forcing Boris to make ENB for SSE.

SNIP
@Xilandro agreed on all points - except one.

SE has the potential to blow classic Skyrim out of the water. With the additional RAM now available, we're able to run in it UHD with a lot more textures, meshes and improvements. Skyrim should have been x64 in the first place but Todd Howard is a fucking moron, SE is just his way of saying 'oops I messed up but I can make money off the modders by limiting mods to beth.net'.

But all that is another topic.. I can't see Boris porting ENB to SE because of the work that would be involved but I think he's a clever guy and may figure something out...

*sensei*

Zero wrote: Agreed on all points - except one.
SSE has the potential to blow classic Skyrim out of the water. With the additional RAM now available, we're able to run in it UHD with a lot more textures, meshes and improvements. Skyrim should have been x64 in the first place
As I said - it has better performance. But it's an old game. Same old Skyrim. No new content. For new content people need to install mods. Hype will end really soon, when they realize it's the same game. Except without content mods. And when they realize it... I bet imaginary 20 intergalactic bucks - people will flip off SSE and install good old version with ENB and some heavy load of content mods. Because it looks better, it has stuff, and you don't need to wait years for all your favorite mod ports. Fk those extra 20 fps. Also, 64bit might be a godsend thing, but 255 mods hardcoded limit in old version is more than enough to put as much stuff as you want. UHD and meshes - 4K textures for everything is a thing for old version for years already. So I don't see any problem here as well.

*master*

Saying "it just has performance improvements, why bother" is like saying "it just has graphical improvements, why bother"... When the larger mods get ported over, people will be running to SE to play the game, because the average person cares more for a steady framerate than image-based lighting. 20FPS? In SE you can have 1000 NPCs on screen with a big chunk of them fighting each other, and the biggest framerate drop will come from the extra rendering load. The performance and stability improvements are as big a deal as ENB's graphical improvements on the DX9 version.

And it's not like porting won't happen. Already, many mods don't even need to be altered. Scripts that don't use SKSE work without recompilation. Plugin data only need to be modified if they override the water flow parameters, weather, or other new SE stuff. Meshes mostly work with the exception of a few features. Compressed textures work, and the uncompressed can be made into BC7 for near-identical appearance. And it's quite likely that, barring some unseen catastrophe, SKSE and most of the main plugins and mods depending on it will be updated in the next few years. Most of the plugins I have in my DX9 Skyrim folder are for fixing bugs, not mod utilities, and the rest are still updated to date. It's silly to say there's no content, ever.

Sure, it's possible SE will be left in a ditch in a year's time... but I'd still wait before making that judgement.

Besides, people aren't forcing... they're begging! Quite the difference. Obviously, there's no rush.

*sensei*

@roxahris
some solid points, but from what I see in the nexus MA discord, what I hear from fellow modmakers and what's going on behind the curtain on forums (after filtering shitposting and all drama)... Let's say "it doesn't look good".
Also, I didn't mean "don't bother". It has better performance, it's a serious +. But the fact it needs too much time to beat the old version still stands. Console mod-users and people who never played skyrim before will have a great time, they're ready to wait. For them it's a whole new game. For people who played the hell out of it not that long ago (left only bc of F4 release) - it's not a big deal.
And we still have no idea if SKSESE will be released, ever. All info we have from Silverlock team is "we'll see. We'll try". They still can't release proper F4SE for a year already, and if SSE is the same as F4 under the hood - SKSESE is a mythical plugin, that will take noideahowmuchtime to develop and release first working version.
Making an ENB right now is worth the time only if there's nothing else to do. Like absolutely nothing. But I'd rather get new F4 ENB than SSE ENB, you know. I don't plan 1000 NPCs fights in Skyrim anyway.
roxahris wrote: Besides, people aren't forcing... they're begging!
that's exactly the way how to force Boris to do stuff. Non-stop begging, and he's always like "OK! Ok, I'll do it" :D

Xilandro wrote:Snip
I agree with everything you've said. No arguments. Time will answer this question.
I do not feed on hype, not for many years.
SSE was not made for modders and PC players to play. It was made as a utility for us to port our mods on and test them for Console players.
https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/sta ... 9278479360
RT to salute our Modding Community. We're beyond thrilled that console players can experience their efforts for #SkyrimSpecialEdition
I vow to no longer feed Bethesda with new content.

Sorry but that makes no sense.

64bit is PC only, consoles can barely use any mods (ps4 has a limit of 1gb of mods and that's without scripts, xbox1 5gb of mods).

Regarding vanilla Skyrim and the mod limit, it's irrelevant. It's about the cpu/ram bottlenecks being cause by the engine being 32 bit, not the amount of mods you can install. 64bit makes the game more stable, way more and allows the bottlenecks to be eliminated in most cases (cpu/ram) ones that drop the gpu usage/frames.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Xilandro wrote:@everyone forcing Boris to make ENB for SSE.
1. SSE is a cash grab for Beth. Target audience - current gen consoles.
2. Forget about good old mods. Lots of authors won't bother with porting&recompiling. Lots of other authors left modding. I reckon only 25-35% of all mods will be ported, and it will take insane amount of time. Mods with SKSE plugins - may not come out at all. Ever. I know for sure some SKSE plugin authors left the scene.
3. Difference between 2 versions visually - not that impressive. Fog aka volumetric bs all around, and higher saturation. Such remaster, much special, very edition, wow
4. It will take many months of very hard work to make new ENB mod for SSE. Old Skyrim ENB will stay superior in comparison for years. People who want beautiful visual experience will always choose old game.
5. Fallout 4 ENB is still work in progress. So Boris needs to make 2 mods, maybe sometimes similar, but still different, and both - hard asf to make.
6. Get off the hype train.

Only advantage of SSE - it has better performance.

@ENBSeries, you should work on it only if you have that much free time, man. But it's not worth it.

I agree with this sentiment. Sorry everyone, I just feel really bad for Boris on this undertaking. Current Skyrim ENB is sooo good as is. Learn to compromise your mod setup so you crash less. Or else, learn to develop like Boris.