Fallout 4 0.291

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fallout 4 0.291

The Lighting is overall more consistent if you can call it like that ever in Bethesda Games TOD and Weather System ;)

And the PBR enhancements add some nice value to that, some stuff is different from the Skyrim Workflow though because of these changes it seems.

Seems it now also makes use of IBL now based on the Weather and or TOD being used, but the most nicest thing is the new Temporal AA that really works well even for rather complex transparent stuff like Hair wich also seems to indicate they use a better OIT with DX 11 now :D

The Graphics Programming Team is exactly the same as it was with Skyrim, actually 1 Guy seems to have been ehh changed over to the Gameplay Programming Team since Skyrim ;)

But else the same Core Graphics Programming Team and lot of them since Oblivion working on it ;)

Lead Graphics Programmer obviously even since way longer ;)

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... rId,62451/

Boris would you say this is a Directional Light Occlusion issue ?

I tried with SSAO and without same Result.

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard

*master*

Skyrim shows SOME reflections, while Fallout 4 doesn't show any that I can see, even with modded .ini files. I don't care about distant. I'd rather have close-by trees, objects, and at least structures have some POOR blocky reflections than none. I used to think that some patterns in the water were reflections, but they were actually extensions of whatever object/structure that it was supposedly reflection. You can simply see a little bit through the water. Its SO obvious. I even tried mods that remove murkiness a bit and that didn't help at all...

Skyrim:
http://i.imgur.com/wnNIVAT.jpg

Fallout 4:
None!
i7 8700K @ 5Ghz | ASUS Z370 Hero X WiFi | Corsair 16GB @ 3200Mhz | RTX 2070 Super @ 1950Mhz | Xonar DGX | 768GB NVMe SSD | 2TB HDD | Corsair 850W | LG 32GK850G-B 1440p 32' G-Sync 165Hz VA | Logitech G402 | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Windows 10 LTSC 1809

l00
*master*

No reflection, none at all ?
Look more closely

Sure, it isn't the greatest reflection we can expect in a 2016 AAA game but...well I guess it's still better than nothing.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I guess he just don't see them, because resolution is somewhere 128*128 with some strange math applied.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

l00 wrote:No reflection, none at all ?
Look more closely

Sure, it isn't the greatest reflection we can expect in a 2016 AAA game but...well I guess it's still better than nothing.
Yeah also i guess you have to change that now in the Material System depending on the Material Setup you gonna see reflections or none.

Rain changes the specular properties of many things dynamically so reflections most probably will become more visible in rainy situations on many materials

They now even try to simulate hair wettnes not only just for the cloth but the entire skin is changing it's specular properties when it rains now including hair like in Watch_Dogs ;)

Not remembering this Detail from Skyrim except the Swiming Specular and Cloth Specular Change in the Rain Weather Conditions

*master*

l00 wrote:No reflection, none at all ?
Look more closely

I was talking about large bodies of water. I see reflections from puddles and from specular textures during rain, but large water bodies, on which and under which you can swim, produce no visible reflections.

I also tried mods that increase resolution to 2K, but there are still no reflections that I see...
i7 8700K @ 5Ghz | ASUS Z370 Hero X WiFi | Corsair 16GB @ 3200Mhz | RTX 2070 Super @ 1950Mhz | Xonar DGX | 768GB NVMe SSD | 2TB HDD | Corsair 850W | LG 32GK850G-B 1440p 32' G-Sync 165Hz VA | Logitech G402 | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Windows 10 LTSC 1809

*sensei*

MonarchX wrote: I was talking about large bodies of water. I see reflections from puddles and from specular textures during rain, but large water bodies, on which and under which you can swim, produce no visible reflections.
Do you realize that no one gives a damn about reflective large bodies of water in Fallout 4?
MonarchX wrote:I also tried mods that increase resolution to 2K, but there are still no reflections that I see...
Sounds legit. I'm gonna install some 4K textures for GTAV, maybe realtime reflections will appear on cars...

why are you so incredibly stupid?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

yeah water surface reflections also in skyrim where mediocre at best and buggy as hell especially for the player.

Best Realtime Water Reflections i saw so far are from GTA 5 ,not every part but a lot especially the Realtime Player based reflections seem to work surprisingly well except the geometry lod issues ones can look sometimes pretty disturbing and behave so as well :)

But overall pretty cool overall fitting implementation for the performance :)

Also the caustics are so wonderful looking in the overall result :)

Even it looks partly faked like no tomorrow it adds so much to the scenes, i was so wowed about how much care was actually put into this Game play RAGE results but yeah it looks like a very weird mix sometimes :)

Cant wait to see GTA 6 Results fully fixed and more objects that get reflected with proper reflection probe results and less strange lod and missing objects issues :)

Last edited by CruNcher on 05 Mar 2016, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

*master*

Xilandro wrote:
MonarchX wrote: I was talking about large bodies of water. I see reflections from puddles and from specular textures during rain, but large water bodies, on which and under which you can swim, produce no visible reflections.
Do you realize that no one gives a damn about reflective large bodies of water in Fallout 4?
MonarchX wrote:I also tried mods that increase resolution to 2K, but there are still no reflections that I see...
Sounds legit. I'm gonna install some 4K textures for GTAV, maybe realtime reflections will appear on cars...

why are you so incredibly stupid?
1. A whole lot of people care, talk about it, make threads about it. There are even "mods" dedicated to trying to re-create reflections. Its a flat texture, its ugly, its far worse than Skyrim's water, it stands out, and it would be great to see that change with new ENB version.

2. Boris mentioned "...resolution is somewhere 128*128 with some strange math applied." Thus, I assumed texture resolution might've had something to do with reflections, but originally I applied them just for the sake of having better water textures. I simply noticed they don't improve reflections and mentioned it.

I am not going to fall down to your level and start calling you names, but I admit about being ignorant when it comes to deep expertise on how game graphics engines work and what/how ENB can change/improved upon that. There aren't any specific places where you can get all the necessary info at once and probably requires programming background, which I do not have.

*sensei*

MonarchX wrote: 1. A whole lot of people care, talk about it, make threads about it. There are even "mods" dedicated to trying to re-create reflections. Its a flat texture, its ugly, its far worse than Skyrim's water, it stands out, and it would be great to see that change with new ENB version.

2. Boris mentioned "...resolution is somewhere 128*128 with some strange math applied." Thus, I assumed texture resolution might've had something to do with reflections, but originally I applied them just for the sake of having better water textures. I simply noticed they don't improve reflections and mentioned it.

I am not going to fall down to your level and start calling you names, but I admit about being ignorant when it comes to deep expertise on how game graphics engines work and what/how ENB can change/improved upon that. There aren't any specific places where you can get all the necessary info at once and probably requires programming background, which I do not have.
1. So there's a whole bunch of people trying to enhance reflections by changing texture resolution? =D That's cute. But 90% of fallout landscape is not water. And player will spend most of his time running around ugly looking ruins of Boston, looking for loot, not for reflections. That's why most people don't care about water reflections. They care about ugly looking ruins more. And this is imo highest priority =D
2. It might be anything, but reflections quality. Why? Logic. Math and one small texture just doesn't make reflections =) Here, check out this site https://simonschreibt.de/game-art-tricks/
it's an easy way to get some basic understanding of how some stuff works.

And I'm not trying to insult you. I'm not saying you're stupid all the time, you're just acting stupid here, like it or not. Because you don't have required knowledge, yet you talk like you're some kind of pro (I don't have good knowledge of it too, but I'm not trying to discuss stuff I don't understand, or don't know enough about). That's it. Want to buzz Boris's ears with reflections? Read about them first. As much as possible. How they work, how they do not work, how they're implemented in different engines, games, tech demos, etc etc etc. You don't need a degree in programming to read all this stuff. After you spent some time on reading and understanding - you'll get some basic idea how easy or hard it is to implement reflections by original devs, and ENB is a lot harder, because no source code available, it's all made via forks and workarounds, through many-many thousand trial and error tests. I might be wrong, but as far as I remember - Boris spent ~10k hours on skyrim TESTS. Now think about how much time he spent just coding. And reflections function isn't that old. And now you're running around yelling about water, while there's a lot more serious stuff to do first.
If you want to fall down to my level and start calling me an idiot, if I'll start talking about something I have no fking idea - you are absolutely welcome, I won't even try to argue.