Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.216

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*sensei*

Re: Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.216

@xilandro
I know, the shader flag in the meshes can be set to a different render technique and it works, i'v done it with hair meshes too.
just set it to 45 and the smoke looks much better.
But it can't be done for the fog in the game cause the fog aint a mesh.

@Boris,
Sorry, i didn't understand this when you said that earlier, that's a bummer, i thought it was possible.
Oh well, we'll have to make due then.

*master*

ENBSeries wrote:How much time i should tell that will not restore shadow brightness? Shadows can't have brightness. They can't be darker than now and if brighter, then it's will be transparent look of them.
I'm with everyone here. Find a way. ;)

*sensei*

It could be that it really isn't possible, no harm done then..

i just play with .161 again.

i also had the transparent gun returning a lot with .216 and i got used to it only being transparent while zooming with .161,
so .161 is visually actually still the best ENB to date, only the stability of .216 is better.

so i'll happily play with an older version, no sweat.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I heard this many times and not once from you. No one forcing to use specific version, but don't understand the sense of such posts, i'm not developer of win8 or another one product from adobe, each version is better than previous (except bugs). Saying that something old temporary was better have two meaning, first is that i'm idiot who don't know what users want, second is that users are incompetent affected by imprinting. Both scenarious leads to same conclusion - i'm wasting my life.

*sensei*

I was talking for the most part to Wanny actually.

But i do Always hope when i say this that you might find it in your heart to look at it when you find the time.

Can't hurt to try , now can it ?

You might think that newer versions are Always better because the SSAO routine is somewhat better with a more sophisticated coded routine that blends better,
but the reality is that that is not neccsarily true, if you think that newer is Always better then...well, that's not neccesarily true either..
Cause although the SSAO has more ways to blend with the options, i really do not see any difference in any of the combinations i can make,
and it's all about what the eyes see in the end, it's a visual mod so visuality is important.
I am and Always have been a very visual kinda guy and if i must say what i think about the ENB versions than i come to these conclusions;

PRO's;
shadow control ability is extremely nice to have
frames per second is higher then with newer versions
CON's;
less stable

PRO's;
much better stability
somewhat better SSAO (but not really all that noticable)
ability to tailor the memory usage , also that of VRAM
CON's
frames per second lower
shadows are hardly noticable with normal fog settings

and i won't say anything about the transparency cause it still is transparent very often all of a sudden,
so there's not much changed there.

I'm not saying that you are an idiot, those are your own words, don't put them in my mouth.
but what i am saying is that i would be very happy if you put the best of both worlds into 1 ENB.

Now i understood from what you said earlier that you don't want to spend more time on Fallout ENB,
then just say i'm not going to do anything about Fallout anymore, and i will never say stuff like this again.
But you said before that you would not spend more time on Fallout ENB and yet you made the .216 after that.

so i'm silently hoping that maybe you will listen to what the Fallout users want and maybe find it in your heart to
do something about those little few things that are left when you have some spare time,
i'm not asking you to do all kinds of extreme things like you are doing with Skyrim.

Really Boris, i think you are actually a very good programmer and from what you have done in the past i know that you could do these things in a few evenings,
so that's why i sometimes say it again, in the hope that you might one day do that last little thing some of us asked for.

if not, then it's ok too, but i can try no ?

And for what it's worth, i don't think you are wasting your life at all, you make a lot of people happy with your mods.

*sensei*

OK, so i have been testing and switching ENB's constantly and taking screenshots and i came to the
conclusion that i have to take back what i said earlier, the newest ENB is actually far superior to the .161 visually.

Although i think that the shadows on grass are more appealing with the old version simple because you can make it nice and dark,
just about everything else is indeed much better.
So i was kinda talking out of my ass in my last post, sorry for that Boris.

if i set the fogfaderange to 7 with both the ENB's it is clear that the shadows and SSAO of .216 is a whole lot better.
not to mention the edga AA that is much better then the earlier version.

after messing about with the settings a lot i managed to get satisfactory darkness under my grass by upping the SSAO sample range
to 1.20 instead of 0.60, lowered the intensity a bit so it is actually somewhat lighter but larger area of darkening.
still i'd like to be able to get some additional darkness under my grass.
if i make the meshes to have more cards so it gets more complicated, would that give extra additional shadows ?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

You thinking in wrong direction. Ambient color is shadow color, just decrease it for day, but compensate via adaptation when in shadows or specific tonemapping which not increase all brightness, but brightness of dark areas when in darkness.

*sensei*

right on, that sounds good, i'm going to try it out rightaway.

Thanks Boris.

*sensei*

Yep, that works perfectly.
i feel kinda dumb that i did not realize that ambient light is illuminating shadowed area's.
i could have thought of that myself too, but i guess you where right, i was searching in the wrong place.

i decreased daytime ambient brightness and upped normal lighting and the shadows are indeed darker and sunlight is more natural.
i also decreased the brightness of the ambient color somewhat in my weather mod to multiply the shadow darkening effect.

thanks again !

*sensei*

Last edited by Rubber-De-Flubber on 25 May 2022, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.