TES Skyrim 0.241

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*master*

Re: TES Skyrim 0.241

jrista wrote:
It was my fault. I had that happen before a while back. I learned that if you set your desktop resolution to 2560x1440 first, then run the game, it works fine. I had just forgotten to set my desktop resolution before getting back to tweaking 1440p (and had forgotten why that bug occurred in the first place.)
This prompts a question that I know is off-topic but it seems somewhat related to this tangential discussion (and I couldn't find an answer in a quick search). When the letterbox vignette is enabled, the game/ENB is still rendering the full screen resolution, right? I was wondering if the letterbox could be applied in such a way (perhaps making it inaccessible from the GUI) that the game doesn't render the parts of the screen hidden by the vignette, presumably resulting in greater performance. This strikes me as something that has likely been discussed and asked of Boris in the past, so I apologize if this is an old topic. I am, however, curious to know the answer of whether it is possible (or if it already works that way).

*sensei*

Maeldun wrote:This prompts a question that I know is off-topic but it seems somewhat related to this tangential discussion (and I couldn't find an answer in a quick search). When the letterbox vignette is enabled, the game/ENB is still rendering the full screen resolution, right? I was wondering if the letterbox could be applied in such a way (perhaps making it inaccessible from the GUI) that the game doesn't render the parts of the screen hidden by the vignette, presumably resulting in greater performance. This strikes me as something that has likely been discussed and asked of Boris in the past, so I apologize if this is an old topic. I am, however, curious to know the answer of whether it is possible (or if it already works that way).
It renders full resolution regardless of letterbox afaik.. not sure if cropping the image before it runs through has been done, generally the letterbox is the ~last in the chain

*master*

Maeldun wrote:
jrista wrote:
It was my fault. I had that happen before a while back. I learned that if you set your desktop resolution to 2560x1440 first, then run the game, it works fine. I had just forgotten to set my desktop resolution before getting back to tweaking 1440p (and had forgotten why that bug occurred in the first place.)
This prompts a question that I know is off-topic but it seems somewhat related to this tangential discussion (and I couldn't find an answer in a quick search). When the letterbox vignette is enabled, the game/ENB is still rendering the full screen resolution, right? I was wondering if the letterbox could be applied in such a way (perhaps making it inaccessible from the GUI) that the game doesn't render the parts of the screen hidden by the vignette, presumably resulting in greater performance. This strikes me as something that has likely been discussed and asked of Boris in the past, so I apologize if this is an old topic. I am, however, curious to know the answer of whether it is possible (or if it already works that way).
Letterboxing is really just a vignette effect. It is applied after the bulk of the rest of the rendering pipeline, so it will not improve your performance. I think what you are interested in is viewport clipping, which would generate a viewport to produce letterboxing (instead of using a vignette), within which the game is rendered (which should result in fewer pixels actually being processed.) If that is never provided as an option in ENB (I suspect it could be a pain to implement, given some of the things Boris has said about the Bethesda engine), the simplest way to achieve roughly the same thing is to create a custom resolution in your video drivers, apply it to your desktop, set that as the resolution in SkyrimPrefs.ini, and then run the game. That is the only surefire way to force a limit on the number of pixels rendered.

jrista
Just tested changing resolution to create letterbox effect and it worked, I gained around 8fps indoors. There are downsides though, like the inventory menu doesn't downscale so it crops out, same thing with the map menu, but this might be Skyui. Won't test further because is not worth the hassle of changing resolutions every time I play the game.

*master*

Diegog5 wrote:jrista
Just tested changing resolution to create letterbox effect and it worked, I gained around 8fps indoors. There are downsides though, like the inventory menu doesn't downscale so it crops out, same thing with the map menu, but this might be Skyui. Won't test further because is not worth the hassle of changing resolutions every time I play the game.
It should work. I use SkyUI, and I have no issues with any game UIs. If you are trying to make a very thick letterbox (very wide screen/anamorphic image), you might try scaling it back a bit. It might indeed be that SkyUI can only handle "standard" ratios, like 16:10, 16:9, etc. If you are trying to create a true anamorphic letterbox, you might just be operating out of spec for SkyUI or even the game. I play at either 2560x1440 or 1920x1080, and I get a nice, but thin, letterbox on the top and bottom. I could always crop further for my screenshots. You might also be able to get away with a non-standard ratio if you don't push it too far...there is some white space with SkyUI at the bottom of the screen, and just a smidge at the top...you might be able to "crop" that space out and still have the game be playable.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Maeldun
Mod do not have anything dependent from screen aspect. And i don't want to bother making cropped rendering, better ask HiAlcoBoost authors.

DigitalPrinceX
Wave amplitude values at 1.0 is showing 50% less intense waves than previous verison
Have you tried another displacement texture filtering? I don't remember changes in displacement height.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

sheson wrote:ugrids is rounded up from 6 to 7 and 8 to 9 by the engine. You can test this with console tll (toggle lod) and compare whats left to see, or by checking a console saveini output.
It also seems the engine adjusts the buffer to a minimum setting (grids+1)^2 so it never can be to low.

For me a simple and reproducible loadorder that CTDs with ugrids 7 is vanilla game (cleaned or uncleaned, no DLCs needed) and open cities http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8058

coc whiterun
player.setav speedmult 1000
tgm

run to Windhelm, open city gate, turn around and run north towards riften.
I typically crash shortly after leaving the windhelm bridge.

Use SKSE and its minidumps at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze you will find this

FAULTING_IP:
TESV+bd832
004bd832 0f298660910000 movaps xmmword ptr [esi+9160h],xmm0

This exception is the only one that I can tie to higher ugrids no matter what mods or settings.
You can also just go vanilla game set ugrids or buffer very high and speed run around until you crash provided you use safetyload and stableugridstoload. It is a shame stableugridstoload could not fix above exception.
This looks really interesting i have a reproducible crash in that part as well with safetyload it ctds without it freezes, there are some heavy mesh lod changes going on @ once i guess they trigger this i can definitely see how it brakes down when the lod change happens speedmult is causing the lod change to happen much later the crash their can be a little delayed depending on the angle, you moving in/out.

FAULTING_IP:
ntdll!RtlSizeHeap+ce
771c30bd 668b4910 mov cx,word ptr [ecx+10h]

EXCEPTION_RECORD: ffffffff -- (.exr 0xffffffffffffffff)
ExceptionAddress: 771c30bd (ntdll!RtlSizeHeap+0x000000ce)
ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 2
Parameter[0]: 00000000
Parameter[1]: 2bbf6b1d
Attempt to read from address 2bbf6b1d

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard