TES Skyrim 0.252

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author

Re: TES Skyrim 0.252

One question: I have "only" 2gb of vram, and they geat pretty fast "full". What hapens then?
Are the textures loaded into ram?
Or does the game just not load them?

Thanks snsmac

Curious too..

Getting a lot more VRAM usage with 252... I take it this is due to ENB managing VRAM more efficiently, and taking advantage of all of it instead of leaving some empty?

I didn't think I'd see the day where all 4GB of my graphics card's RAM is full so soon, but hey if it performs better than I guess that's a good thing.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

snsmac wrote:One question: I have "only" 2gb of vram, and they geat pretty fast "full". What hapens then?
Are the textures loaded into ram?
Or does the game just not load them?

Thanks snsmac
I believe any memory that is loaded that isn't needed at the immediate moment just gets dumped into enbhost.exe. So whatever information needs to get loaded does and then, if not needed right then, gets moved into enbhost.exe for when it's needed. ReservedMemorySizeMb (which we're now able to manipulate in game) is how much of your VRAM is "reserved" for this shuffling around of memory from enbhost, standard RAM and VRAM.

I used to have a 2GB card and the only thing I'd occasionally notice if VRAM got full was pop-in from LOD was a little more prevalent and I had more stutters, but not much. If you're playing with a 2gb card I'd recommend having mostly 1k landscape textures, as opposed to 2k, especially if you're playing at 1080p or less, as you won't see much difference in texture quality and you'll notice less pop-in as your VRAM can have more textures actually loaded and ready to be used.

There's also a key you can set in your enblocal.ini to purge your VRAM in the event you think it's loaded with useless information and you want to clear it out. This is particularly useful when changing zones (leaving or entering a city for example).

And of course, Boris, please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm pretty sure I'm more or less right though) :)

*master*

I haven't played the game in a few weeks because I've been working on my program "Mod Explorer For NMM", check it out yo. Anyway, I've been accumulating mods and was going to test a new enb preset so I temporarily removed all enb files from my game dir. So I run the game, and when I go outside, crash. So I'm like great, wtf. Then I restore my game dir to the previous backup with enb and it works. Then I remembered to myself, duh, you need ENBoost to make this insanely modded game not crash. So basically, huzzah once again for Enboost! Great to see you still developing Boris!

@Jafin16:

Interesting - So what your saying is that ReservedMemorySizeMb sets the size of VRAM reserved for "dynamic" memory allocations, and the rest is used for "static" allocations of cached textures / object geometry? So are the static allocations in VRAM used for what is being currently rendered?

I've asked about how ReservedMemorySizeMb relates to DisableDriverMemoryManager, and from what Boris said if his video resource manager is enabled (in other words, DisableDriverMemoryManager=true), then it won't touch the VRAM set aside with ReservedMemorySizeMb.

Also, it seems that the VRAM set aside by ReservedMemorySizeMb is "mirrored" to RAM in TESV.exe, since Boris has said a number of times that increasing ReservedMemorySizeMb will increase Skyrim's memory use. Does that match your experiences?

My big question is how much VRAM is reserved for dynamic allocations by the manufacturer's video driver if ENB isn't running. It can't be equal to full VRAM, because with >2GB cards the "mirroring" of VRAM into the address space of an executable would result in no memory left for it to run. I assume it's a fairly small amount, like 64 or 128MB, but does anybody know?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

LucidAPs
Those parameters do not affect color banding artifacts and they can't be negative, because just interpolators. Mist have dithering, so any color issues means that code of external shaders doing this.

snsmac
When no vram left, some of it resourses deleted and created thouse, which are used by the game atm. Of course they are residental in ram (of game process and enbhost.exe).

keithinhanoi
Video memory do not have definition of dynamic allocations the way you think it is. It exist as extra hint for the driver for thouse resources, which must be modified very fast, but on practice it a bit slower on nvidia and very slow on amd (that's why Rage work awful on amd and my first versions of ENBoost). Dynamic resources are totally made by the directx9, almost all games on the market use memory manager provided by Microsoft and it allow to run games which require 2 gb of vram on videocard with 256 mb f.e., because only the most frequently used resources inside the video memory. Of course data transfer from ram to vram in such case greatly decrease performance, but still playable. Btw this is the case when pci-ex speed matters.

Skyrim awesomeness returns... Thanks Boris.

Testing new binary. :D
RAM : 8GB DDR3 800MHz
Sound : HyperCloud 7.1
VR : Rift

Obsidian Weathers and Luminous ENB.
ENB 0.402

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

@Boris
Great you back :)

do you think we are about to solve all the Alpha Transparency issues @ great speeds in Future Engines once and for all (no flickering anywhere anymore) ?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2997

@Boris
Is the Virtual Memory allocation of Windows (NT6) always a Maximum of 3GB for sharing SRAM with the VRAM if VRAM runs out or is this System dependent on the Platform (Intel/AMD) or rather a decision by the Device Driver (Nvidia/AMD) or both ?

i have 8 GB of SRAM 1 GB VRAM and 3 GB of those 8 GB are Shared with the VRAM making up a total of 4 GB shared VRAM on my system, in Skyrim im currently a little bellow those 1 GB currently sometimes it goes above but in most scenes i see not such a big impact in Performance when that situation occurs.

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard

@ Boris
Sorry, i think it is the fault of my bad english, but i can not understand your answer.
If i only use 4k textures, they wont fit into my vram. So what happens than?

Thanks snsmac