TES Skyrim SE 0.309 BETA

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim SE

far327 wrote:Trying to understand why there are two threads for the same topic occurring?

Having not touched Skyrim since Feb 2016. After firing up Skyrim SE and then my ENB preset from Skyrim. My god, why are we even asking for a re-do?
I couldn't be happier with my ENB preset in old Skyrim! The new SE version really doesn't add anything useful that ENB doesn't already do accept maybe the native 64bit executable. But from my understanding that might not of even been implemented without issues. So really, what is left? Skyrim with some new half baked sub-par quality effects? Most of which ENB already does better in it's current version.

Help me understand everyone, what is the main reason you would want to play Skyrim SE over Skyrim?
As Tansarville said, some of it's just for fun. Also, with native 64-bit, it adds opportunities for modding that weren't there before. Things like view distances and such already have great potential.

Here's a screenshot from a friend on flickr, Mizzog, and a comparison. Click and head over to see mods he's using, but it's a comparison of SE on top and Modded Skyrim on bottom.
ImageSkyrim Special Edition Vs Skyrim Moded by Mizzog, on Flickr

Obviously, the bottom one is better, but if you look at tree view distance and the like (pic description says a lot) is already better. Might be a good new place to start.

If modding was dead for Skyrim, then I'd agree. But there are already a ton of mods available on Nexus for SE (mostly ported from old Skyrim, but still). I wanna see where we go!

I've had an itching to make a new preset, but didn't wanna deal with buggy old Skyrim. This may not actually be any better, but hey, maybe there's a chance!

*master*

Jafin16 wrote:
far327 wrote:Trying to understand why there are two threads for the same topic occurring?

Having not touched Skyrim since Feb 2016. After firing up Skyrim SE and then my ENB preset from Skyrim. My god, why are we even asking for a re-do?
I couldn't be happier with my ENB preset in old Skyrim! The new SE version really doesn't add anything useful that ENB doesn't already do accept maybe the native 64bit executable. But from my understanding that might not of even been implemented without issues. So really, what is left? Skyrim with some new half baked sub-par quality effects? Most of which ENB already does better in it's current version.

Help me understand everyone, what is the main reason you would want to play Skyrim SE over Skyrim?
As Tansarville said, some of it's just for fun. Also, with native 64-bit, it adds opportunities for modding that weren't there before. Things like view distances and such already have great potential.

Here's a screenshot from a friend on flickr, Mizzog, and a comparison. Click and head over to see mods he's using, but it's a comparison of SE on top and Modded Skyrim on bottom.
ImageSkyrim Special Edition Vs Skyrim Moded by Mizzog, on Flickr

Obviously, the bottom one is better, but if you look at tree view distance and the like (pic description says a lot) is already better. Might be a good new place to start.

If modding was dead for Skyrim, then I'd agree. But there are already a ton of mods available on Nexus for SE (mostly ported from old Skyrim, but still). I wanna see where we go!

I've had an itching to make a new preset, but didn't wanna deal with buggy old Skyrim. This may not actually be any better, but hey, maybe there's a chance!

I think a Volumetric Lighting or a fake Volumetric Lighting would make a little difference :p I remember Boris said something about it like Sun Directional Light and shadow angles are in Skyrim completely fake or so that's why it was not possible to make it worked properly. I don't think anything changed in SE about that matter but hey would be nice if we could have it somehow. And as Jafin said, same as he, I was also thinking to release a new preset S4 or something like that but I kept exhausted of fighting with tons of buggy issues in old Skyrim. So if we had a working SE I may thiking to release a preset. For fun reasons or so. We must admit or I must admist despite how buggy and crap looking game somehow we found many great experience during our playing/modding period in this game. So it wouldn't make me surprise to see still some people would like to keep ENB modding same as me. It's kind of a sentimental thing honestly rather than a logical approach.

Well for me apart from wanting the ENB magic, the new SSE is much much smoother, load times are much faster, no stuttering or juddering when loading cells, no need to worry about memory etc. If we can have the benefits of the new 64 bit engine and have it look like only ENB can make it look then im happy.Even little things like indoor, outdoor and weather lighting make a big difference.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Tansarville
I've been wondering also did you manage to encode AGCC section ? If i'm not mistaken you said it's written in Assembler language on old version of the game. I'd like to see if they changed anything in that section.
Not yet.

far327
I don't see the reason to make ENBSeries for Skyrim SE, but if people want it and modding community will move to it, then okay, i'll do it. For now it's unknown, many mods will never be compatible, i don't believe many authors are interested to update. The only positive thing is that Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 external shaders would be cross compatible (but not many users need mod for Fallout 4). Skyrim SE is not made for modders, it's released to earn money on same old title, but only modders keep this game alive, so modders decides the future of SSE.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

ENBSeries wrote:Skyrim SE is not made for modders, it's released to earn money on same old title, but only modders keep this game alive, so modders decides the future of SSE.
Damn that's a good quote!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

They also point out better SSR if that is backported from the Fallout 4 state im not sure if that can be counted as better and any improvement overall @ all tough ;)

Did they updated Skyrim to use Umbra now same as Fallout 4 or do they still use the old Manual Portal Occlusion System ?

If they updated to Umbra they would also need to update to a new Creation Kit Editor for Skyrim SE for the occlusion backing ?
far327 wrote:
ENBSeries wrote:Skyrim SE is not made for modders, it's released to earn money on same old title, but only modders keep this game alive, so modders decides the future of SSE.
Damn that's a good quote!
Like in Hollywood before the Remastering Era Arrived for Games ;)

Essentially its Modding becoming Internal Commercialized for the Purpose of reselling older titles again to a new audience :D

Currently Batman and the upcoming Modern Warfare Remaster must be one of the first Professionally done Remasters in the PC/Console Gaming Industry but it can be very well called Remaster as such (also on the artisitcal asset side) Skyrim SE isn't really sadly a Remaster then just a Engine Update.

Tough the greatest addition is obviously Bethesdas ongoing Temporal AA work now for Skyrim that's great to see no more ENB workarround needed also Performance now in the complete Deffrered part should not crash suddenly anymore out of the blue :)

I at least hope for a much more stable Runtime result like in Fallout 4 :)

Only thing that makes you to think hard is the inclusion of the Nvidia based Part of the Volumetric Lighting not sure what to think about it, not really that big of a fan overall in Fallout 4 of it either.

Boris first things i allway do

cl off
gr off

;)

and sometimes i use my own tuned cl fill setup ;)
Last edited by CruNcher on 29 Oct 2016, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard

*master*

Ultimately, the main reason to use SE for the people still playing is the improved performance. It runs much, much better, even at higher resolutions and more objects on screen. And with Windows 10 artificially limiting (?) VRAM for DX9 games it's also the only option for using the highest quality assets on modern systems without installing several OSes. I'd be content with the features of the Fallout 4 version - the tonemapping and colour filters still look really bad except under the most tightly controlled circumstances, and having characters go completely black in the moonlight because of crushed contrast is ridiculous. But I digress. Sooner or later, things will be ported, or they'll be redone, or someone will find a better way to do them. Even Oblivion is still getting mods.

As for professional remasters, unless you mean "last-generation console remasters" there were quite a few good ones of PS2 games. Mostly from Square Enix.

As for broken volumetric lighting, one of the first things I saw opening the game was this. Yeah, that sets the standard.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

You forgot the most important Temporal AA i wonder how it really does in terrms of performance and aliasing/ghosting avoidance per frame compared to Boris Hacked together one :)

Fallout 4s does a pretty decent job though very expensive overall.

I wonder why Skyrim SE got no HBAO+ included ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnlzIjF4weA

Imho Volumetric Results make more sense then they sometimes do in Fallout 4 ;)
Last edited by CruNcher on 29 Oct 2016, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

*master*

far327 wrote:I admit that I was on board for SE to work with ENB at first. But now I'm not seeing the point.
The only thing I have some curiosity about is if Boris finds some use in the new code of the unfinished effects or features of SE.
Perhaps he has ideas that would allow those effects to be fully enabled?

I can't even imagine the undertaking of starting over after 5 or 6 years of work. :lol:

BUT, if anyone can do the amazing, it is definitely Boris! :shock:
The fact that Skyrim SE currently pales in comparison to heavily modded OG Skyrim, is no surprise. Skyrim SE is like a young sapling while OG Skyrim is like a massive oak with tons of mods.

With that said, the main reason to hope that ENB support for Skyrim SE is successful, even if it's limited by what Boris is able to do with the DX11 iteration of the engine like in Fallout 4, is because of the fact that it is 64 bit now. Mods and textures no longer hit a 4GB RAM wall that you run into on the original Skyrim due to the limitations of the original game being 32 bit, and are only limited by your hardware. Sure, we were hacking our way around the issue , but it wasn't ideal and stability was always a question on a heavily modded install. The move to 64 bit should fix many of the previous stability issues.

If Boris manages to get his SSAO/SSIL working and nothing else, it is still success in my mind. The visual quality of Fallout 4 was greatly improved when Boris implemented SSAO and SSIL. The SSIL was a huge jump in quality from vanilla Fallout 4's SSAO/HBAO+.

Boris, there are many of us who are not stupid users with no gratitude for your work. We really appreciate it, and we can wait for whatever you decide to implement. I can't speak for everyone, but I can say for myself that I understand making ENB is difficult and it's completely OK with me if you are not able to implement all of the original features.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

TreyM wrote:
far327 wrote:I admit that I was on board for SE to work with ENB at first. But now I'm not seeing the point.
The only thing I have some curiosity about is if Boris finds some use in the new code of the unfinished effects or features of SE.
Perhaps he has ideas that would allow those effects to be fully enabled?

I can't even imagine the undertaking of starting over after 5 or 6 years of work. :lol:

BUT, if anyone can do the amazing, it is definitely Boris! :shock:
The fact that Skyrim SE currently pales in comparison to heavily modded OG Skyrim, is no surprise. Skyrim SE is like a young sapling while OG Skyrim is like a massive oak with tons of mods.

With that said, the main reason to hope that ENB support for Skyrim SE is successful, even if it's limited by what Boris is able to do with the DX11 iteration of the engine like in Fallout 4, is because of the fact that it is 64 bit now. Mods and textures no longer hit a 4GB RAM wall that you run into on the original Skyrim due to the limitations of the original game being 32 bit, and are only limited by your hardware. Sure, we were hacking our way around the issue , but it wasn't ideal and stability was always a question on a heavily modded install. The move to 64 bit should fix many of the previous stability issues.

If Boris manages to get his SSAO/SSIL working and nothing else, it is still success in my mind. The visual quality of Fallout 4 was greatly improved when Boris implemented SSAO and SSIL. The SSIL was a huge jump in quality from vanilla Fallout 4's SSAO/HBAO+.

Boris, there are many of us who are not stupid users with no gratitude for your work. We really appreciate it, and we can wait for whatever you decide to implement. I can't speak for everyone, but I can say for myself that I understand making ENB is difficult and it's completely OK with me if you are not able to implement all of the original features.
The SSIL was a huge jump in quality from vanilla Fallout 4's SSAO/HBAO+.

Hmm additional yes standalone nope and additional it adds to much overhead, you really wouldn't want to run HBAO+ and Boris SSIL together at the same time.

Though i didn't test it recently but especialy my extreme focused Character Conversation Camera results where not really good combined with Boris SSAO it did a nice work on the souroundings but finding a overal setup for Enviroment and Conversation Camera Setup was pretty hard if almost impossible.

That's also something tapioks completely ignored in his Youtube Review of Boris SSAO/SSIL, tapioks only concentrated himself on wide fov enviroment camera results, but that's only a part of the ground truth.

It's definetly visible that HBAO+ results where very well optimized for the Conversation Camera as well ;)

and the conversation camera runs at a fov of 35.5 somewhere there actually there are several different fov modes it changes between in a conversation ;)
Last edited by CruNcher on 29 Oct 2016, 19:05, edited 9 times in total.