Performance drops fix (Skyrim)

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Performance drops fix (Skyrim)

Probably im mr Obvious, but i just figured out what was killing performances of my Skyrim so strongly.
It's the grass, probably all the shader effect enbseries apply to scenario and grass itself, make them too heavy if you use the grass at maximum quantity.
So, from 18 fps to 45/50 in heavy nature environment.

Skyrim.ini
[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0
iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=6
iMinGrassSize=75 <--- 0=ALOT of grass 100=no grass, play with this setting. 75 get a very decent amount of grass and u can play with heavy enb+sweetfx effects with a decent fps rate.

I used to have 55/60fps in interiors, 30ish on open zones, 18 in zones with a lot of natural environments. Now my fps hardly goes below 40 which make it very playable.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Performance drops fix (Skyrim)

Good starting point with this thread hopefully more users will add there insight on the matter as well.

I would add a bunch of performance vs quality tips here if I hadn't recently short circuited my gaming PC's graphics card :roll: stupid mistake on my part.

Will add my input later on when I get my hands on a new graphic card and can access all my files on my gaming PC ;)

can't wait :D

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Thanks to a good friend who works (and own the company) with selling computers and fixing them I got my hands on a 8800GT card until I have either received a replacement card or a "refund" or whatever it's called. Either way it will end in me buying a ASUS DCII GTX 670 card, and mount the Accelero Hybrid properly this time with the insulation tape on :P As I said a stupid mistake.

Will do some testing with this 8800GT card to see how it performs with different settings, should make for a good reference for low-end rig users ;)

*sensei*

My old PC have a 9600GT, it worked on vanilla Skyrim on lower resolutions and with ENB's bloom, sky lighting and sun rays enabled. It gets really hot though... After an hour with Mass Effect 3 it had a temperature of 96 degrees celsius.

On topic...
What's the difference between
bAllowCreateGrass and bAllowLoadGrass?

Appreciate this little gem (grass fix), added some nice stability to my game. (FPS gain on average 3 - 10)
30 - 40 FPS for me is nice and playable with the added bonus of enjoying the quality that has been provided.

The grass is a little low for me on 75 (I'll spend some time playing around with the number) which will obviously have an effect on the FPS, but I hope to make up for the loss by compensating in other areas.

*sensei*

Get the mod Grass on Steroids.

Use the following skyrim.ini tweaks and behold increase in FPS with almost NO visual loss.
The concept is simple... you increase the size of every grass mesh, and then reduce the total amount rendered. That way the grass still cover the same area, but with a lower performance impact.

[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0
iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=7
bDrawShaderGrass=1
iMinGrassSize=110

The last is my personal setting, the higher it is the less grass is rendered.

Thanks, this is great. From unstable 16 fps I've got now stable 30 fps. To think it was all about grass.