Skyrim terrible stuttering

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Skyrim terrible stuttering

A little while ago I started getting some serious stuttering when the game is loading new content, be that cc menu, new cells, occlusion culling (turning the camera around quickly).

What is really strange here is that I've been using ENB's for at least 6 months with some problems, but nothing a little reading and reinstalling couldn't fix. But now I can't fix this at all, reinstalling doesn't work, modifying the enblocal.ini doesn't help, nothing seems to work. With ENB completely uninstalled skyrim runs like a dream 60fps everywhere. But with ENB installed and not turned on ingame I can sometimes get 60fps, but if I stare at particular places fps drops instantly, or do any of the loading I mentioned earlier.

This could be a hardware problem, but all other games work absolutely fine with no problems.
There isn't anything I've done in the few weeks this has happened that I can think of which could affect the performance like this. Like I said I'm using the same old .279 (problem persists on .302) binary and the same presets that have been working fine before.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim terrible stuttering

I don't understand, why it's so popular these days to ask "i did nothing, it no longer works". Search for software which have autoupdates, like win10 or drivers, it have nothing to do with the mod.

I have steered clear of the W10 updates as now I check all the new updates for any connection with W10, and I updated my GPU drivers AFTER the stuttering started in hopes that the update would fix it. I did download some other updates for windows which I uninstalled and the stuttering still remains.

I understand that I have downloaded and installed a file or program or some other program has updated itself and now ENB for some reason doesn't work. But nothing in my dl history has anything to do with graphics at all, I have uninstalled all mods from skyrim and still the problem persists. The only thing I could think of is I moved my skyrim folder and mod folder to my ssd, again in the hopes that it would fix the stuttering.

Edit: Disabling the ENB fps counter seems to fix the performance and the fps drops, but there's still some stutter when loading new content.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Fps counter cannot affect performance, it's not fps limiter.

Hey, I joined to say I'm having the exact same issue.
As the man himself said, it's probably something both of us updated/changed, so I wouldn't expect him to be able to solve it for us.

However, I found one solution to the Stuttering (I only had problem with the stuttering, but I imagine it has to be the same source).

What seems to have solved it for me, is to turn off the setting that enables enbhost.exe, namely "ReduceSystemMemoryUsage". When I set it to false (don't forget to also set ExpandSystemMemoryX64 = false if you have it) the stuttering disappears.
The downside is that this causes CTDs as the game slowly builds up RAM after wandering around for a while, but it might be something you can live with.

Right now, my best bet is that it maybe something interfering with enbhost.exe, but I'm not entirely sure what that could be.

Ictiv wrote:Hey, I joined to say I'm having the exact same issue.

What seems to have solved it for me, is to turn off the setting that enables enbhost.exe, namely "ReduceSystemMemoryUsage". When I set it to false (don't forget to also set ExpandSystemMemoryX64 = false if you have it) the stuttering disappears.
The downside is that this causes CTDs as the game slowly builds up RAM after wandering around for a while, but it might be something you can live with.

Right now, my best bet is that it maybe something interfering with enbhost.exe, but I'm not entirely sure what that could be.
I fully agree with Ictiv, there is an issue there with windows 10. I had HEAVY stuttering (half a sec freezes when turning etc...) and setting "ReduceSystemMemoryUsage" to false seems to solve it for me... Thanks Ictiv !

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=false turns off enboost, it's the worse idea ever.

ENBSeries wrote:ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=false turns off enboost, it's the worse idea ever.
I realize it's far, far from ideal, I simply brought it up because it's the only thing that worked for me in removing the stutter.
If the choice is between not having ENBoost but being able to use some other ENB features, or not having any ENB features whatsoever it might be worth it for some. (Mainly those who don't use ram heavy mods, as so far it brought no issues for me.)
I'm still enjoying my performance centred RealVision, so that's a plus.

(Also as a side note: Unless we have different problems, this isn't a Windows 10 issue. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and still have it.)

ENBSeries wrote:ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=false turns off enboost, it's the worse idea ever.
Agreed, and as a result the game crashes sometimes...
But this heavy stuttering is unplayable. I have no idea where it comes from, as a fresh install of Skyrim with enb straight from your website will have the issue...

Some updates

Removing my Steam beta participation seems to have fixed the terribly long loading times. And the stuttering is now at the normal levels that I get with enb uninstalled.

And while I believe that the fps counter shouldn't affect performance, it does (did). When I ran around with the fps counter on I would first have 60 (enb turned off) and then it would start going down to about 30 or so and then down to 0. When I was running 0 fps I turned off the the fps counter and after a little while my frames bounced back to 60. And while running around with the fps counter off (and enb off) I would get solid 60 with the stuttering I reported earlier.

Now with Steam beta off I seem to have stable performance, my loading times are back to normal and the stuttering is pretty much gone.

Edit: I have been running Windows 7 64-bit all the time, with no windows 10 updates. Also updated to the latest binaries.