Loosing 100 FPS when i install ENB

solving problems with low performance
  • Author

Loosing 100 FPS when i install ENB

Hi,
I am setting up a new installation of Skyrim using my new Titan X and am having trouble with ENB. My preset of choice is Grim and Sombre - Hircine and am using a large amount of texture and script heavy mods. When i load into the AS - LAL prison cell without ENB i am running at ~120FPS. As soon as i install ENB this drops to 20-30FPS. I know that Grim and Sombre is very resource heavy, as ENB presets go, but a drop in FPS as high as 100 on a Titan X? I must be doing something wrong surely. I have attached my ENBlocal.ini below. As i said, i am using a Titan X and a high but not extreme amount of textures. I have 8GB ram. Have i made a mistake in setting up the ENB? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Code: Select all

//
// Grim and Somber Default (template) enblocal file 
// by WolfGrimDark
// last updated: 2015.03.24
// 
// NOTE: Be sure to edit values below for your computer setup
//

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=false
ProxyLibrary=d3d9_SMAA.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false
UseDefferedRendering=true
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true
EnableZPrepass=false

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

//
// Be sure to set thes values for your computer
// see this page for help: http://home.comcast....fig/memory.html
//
[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=7722
EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

// Enable or disable Vsync depending on your own requirements
[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
ForceLodBias=true
LodBias=-0.4
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=false
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0

//
// I use SHIFT plus CONTROL to open the ENB GUI 
// If you want to use SHOFT plus ENTER then make KeyEditor=13 (13 is enter key, 17 is control key)
//
[INPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home 36 disabled 0
KeyFPSLimit=0
//num  106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//shift and control to open GUI
KeyEditor=17
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=true
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=true
EnableTransparencyAA=false

//
// Set FixParallaxTerrain=true if using primarily terrain textures designed for parallax
// Set FixLag=true if you are using an Nvidia card.  May help or make worse, depends on your set up.
//
[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixParallaxTerrain=true
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreInventory=true
FixTintGamma=false
RemoveBlur=false
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixLag=true
[LONGEXPOSURE]
EnableLongExposureMode=false
Time=1.0
BlendMax=0.0

I7-6700
Maximus VIII Hero
HyperX XMP Predator 12GB 3x4gb 3000mhz DDR4
EVGA GTX Titan X Superclocked
Samsung 1TB 850 Pro SSD
Windows 10 / Windows 7 Dual Boot

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Loosing 100 FPS when i install ENB

enblocal.ini do not have such things. Anyway, several months ago one user reported similar for another location. The bug was in the game, it drawing hell many invisible objects without any occlusion, this is the issue from very first game version, developers not fixed much actually. You may check this yourself in profiler of the mod, see there number of draw calls, if it raise too much at certain direction, it's that issue i'm talking about and cannot be fixed. I heard about occlusion culling mods, they may help or disabling defer in enblocal.ini (at cost of many effects).

It's not just the starting area for AS though, it was the Bannered Mare, Whiterun, outside Whiterun and some place in Solstheim too. My reason for linking my local settings was that there might be something wrong with my memory settings that would explain it. I'll keep investigating and see if I can narrow down the posibilities any further.

I7-6700
Maximus VIII Hero
Samsung 1TB 850 Pro SSD

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

As the one who manages that preset I can tell you that there is something wrong on your end. The whole reason Hircine is one of the more popular of the GS presets is because it has the most performance tuning of any of them.

I have a Titan as well and I can reassure you I don't see a drop like that. I use 4k Dungeon textures by Zerwas1 and 2K ones for those not covered. On the quality versions [EDIT: interiors only I mean, exteriors is another matter entirely] of any of the GS presets my average FPS is about 45. On the performance versions it tends to be around 55-65.

Course so much has to do with other variables - monitor resolution, scripts, textures, INI settings (skyrim and ENB), drivers, computer, video card, etc, etc.

wolfgrimdark wrote:As the one who manages that preset I can tell you that there is something wrong on your end. The whole reason Hircine is one of the more popular of the GS presets is because it has the most performance tuning of any of them.
^^Hey, Big fan of your presets.
I have absolutely no doubt that the problem is on my end. I got more then 20fps with Hircine on my 780 TI. IIRC that drop in FPS was with just the ENB running. I'm running around with various set ups, namely With Hircine, with ENBoost and with no binaries at all, with just the expansions and AS installed. The results seem oddly all over the place, and some which are just outright confusing, like with no binaries going from 240 FPS in the AS prison room to 40FPS in whiterun, with scripted events not happening, like the old woman arguing with thin air about her son, until the younger battleborn casually strolled along of his own accord and said that it wasn't worth arguing with her. Considering this was with only AS active i'm pretty sure something is up. I normally use Mod Organiser so nothing should have influenced my installation. Nonetheless i have deleted it and am replacing it with one i know to be clean and will run it straight from SKSE and see what results i get then.

Edit:
No Binaries, no aa, af.
AS prision had fps between 100-250, depending on where i looked, spining on the spot, etc
Bannered mare: 70-100 fps
Whiterun and outside whiterun: 40-70 fps

With Hircine: 25 FPS solidly it rarely flickered to 24, very rarely to 23, but thats virtually it, i spun around on the well outside the bannered mare and got to 20.

This was with no textures, etc. Just Skyrim + DLC, SKSE, SSME and Alternate Start. Im going to assume that it was much more stable with the ENB due to fixlag, enboost, memory settings, etc. But im still suffering a huge drop in FPS. Oddly enough turning off AA and AF in the ENB made 0 difference to my FPS. I dont have form of vsync on that im aware of, if it did it would be with the ENB. At 25FPS it looked smooth, enough for me to play, but when all my textures go in I'm sure that that number will probably drop. Will try it again with textures and see what happens.

I7-6700
Maximus VIII Hero
Samsung 1TB 850 Pro SSD

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Recently one user reported that supersampling (dsr?) was enabled in drivers for him and as result poor perfomance. May be the same case?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

The only thing I can think of is something that I had to deal with (never did find out why it happens only how to fix it for my computer setup).

My FPS gets capped around 20-30 if I enable any form of FPS limiter or vsync. Doesn't matter what type - Vsync in skyrim, my video card driver, the ENB tools for limiting FPS - enable any of them and my fps drops and stays capped at a low rate.

To solve it I don't use any limiters. Disable it in skyrim INI, disabled in my driver, and disable any in enblocal. Then my FPS is fine. Always been a mystery why it has been like that but on the other hand I am not nearly as knowledgeable about this type of thing as the majority of users are on this forum.

May be completely unrelated - just mentioned it on the off chance something similar is happening to you.

ENBSeries wrote:Recently one user reported that supersampling (dsr?) was enabled in drivers for him and as result poor perfomance. May be the same case?
I am specifically using 4K DSR, i turned it on myself, been using it on all my games for a while. Even so, it only opens up the option of picking a higher resolution. They would need to select it themselves, so i don't see how it could be accidental. Stranger things have happened though
wolfgrimdark wrote:The only thing I can think of is something that I had to deal with (never did find out why it happens only how to fix it for my computer setup).

My FPS gets capped around 20-30 if I enable any form of FPS limiter or vsync. Doesn't matter what type - Vsync in skyrim, my video card driver, the ENB tools for limiting FPS - enable any of them and my fps drops and stays capped at a low rate.

To solve it I don't use any limiters. Disable it in skyrim INI, disabled in my driver, and disable any in enblocal. Then my FPS is fine. Always been a mystery why it has been like that but on the other hand I am not nearly as knowledgeable about this type of thing as the majority of users are on this forum.

May be completely unrelated - just mentioned it on the off chance something similar is happening to you.
As i said, I don't believe i have any form of FPS limiter going. Since i hit FPS in the area of 250 (which is confirmed, i impaled myself on a gourd when the physics went haywire) it could only be in the ENB, and the only place i am aware of that ENB has fps limiters is in ENBlocal.ini which as you can see above, doesnt have any limiting in effect.

I turned on my textures. My FPS with the ENB on went to ranging from 23-30. It actually went up. It stuttered on turning occasionally, but only until i had seen an area for the first time. What the hell is going on? I never hit 30 fps with textures off. It may be a fluke, but going from 25 to 30 fps after turning on 4k+ textures is a considerable fluke. However when i went outside Whiterun the FPS took a nosedive, i think this was due to me using Grass on Steroids. I turned it off, leaving only the textures and it improved somewhat, but still only ~20FPS.

I7-6700
Maximus VIII Hero
Samsung 1TB 850 Pro SSD

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Disable grass mods. I tried one of them which looks the best and it performance was awful when defer enabled, because game wasted 10-20 ms to prepare grass as objects for rendering and grass textures had twice bigger size of each quad compared to their textures, so when you are close enough to such grass, heavy fillrate bottleneck occur. In whiterun this is not the case for sure. May be you should looking for crapware? Or win10 have awful performance as players reported.

The terrible FPS outside cities is something I will sort out later, what I can't work out is why having a preset, as opposed to ENBoost makes me far more stable. Also, why can't I run a preset that someone with half my VRAM and what I assume to be a slower clock speed can? Even in modless installations? Without the preset my FPS varied from 250-40, with the preset it hardly budges from 25. Surely it should vary just as much as it did when it was ENBoost?

I7-6700
Maximus VIII Hero
Samsung 1TB 850 Pro SSD