Skyrim - No Lighting Influence on Particles?

fixing bugs
  • Author

Skyrim - No Lighting Influence on Particles?

http://i.imgur.com/mcEoiE0.jpg

[PARTICLE]
IntensityInteriorDay=1.0
IntensityInteriorNight=1.0
LightingInfluenceInteriorDay=1.0
LightingInfluenceInteriorNight=1.0

----
Changing both IntensityInterior to 0.0 does shade the texture to black, but then in lighted areas, it remains black.

It appears that LightingInfluenceInteriorDay=1.0 and LightingInfluenceInteriorNight=1.0 do not work (at least not with water foam).

----
As a matter of reference, I do have the ENB Particle Patch installed and at the end of my load list.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim - No Lighting Influence on Particles?

I don't remember now how it works, sorry.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Same, although I vaguely remember that LightingInfluence might have had an effect at least to some kind of a water foam back in the day, but I'm not sure.

What exactly is your problem?

Just attempting to correct it. It's not as big a deal as the issue with my other MO profile though. I am using a clean empty MO profile to try to understand exactly what each ENB setting affects.

My full MO profile is CTDing and freezing like crazy despite the mods being in the correct order and having all available compatibility patches between them, which is of greater concern than a little glowing water. I think for TESVI I will build a scripting framework and utility that will just automatically solve all conflicts and find broken things; manually doing it with TES5Edit and Wyre is much too tedious.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Not sure I still understand what you want to achieve, make the texture entirely black in darkness?

Where is that stream? I can check it out, but since you say zeroing the intensity makes the texture black it sounds like it's working properly. If I remember correctly LightingInfluence affects how much color the texture will pick.

Should make the texture black regardless of lighting (and does):
[PARTICLE]
IntensityInteriorDay=0.0
IntensityInteriorNight=0.0

Should make the texture twice as dark as the light illuminating it (and doesn't):
[PARTICLE]
IntensityInteriorDay=0.5
IntensityInteriorNight=0.5

Should make the texture black when no light, and fully bright when full light (and doesn't):
[PARTICLE]
IntensityInteriorDay=1.0
IntensityInteriorNight=1.0

Does that make it a bit clearer? Basically, the two LightingInfluence parameters are not functional.

The location doesn't matter: you can see the same effect in any interior that contains it. The screenshot was taken from the very first stream you run across in the cave on the way out of Helgen. Clearly the texture has been marked as particle in your ENB patch since the particle intensity affects it, but it would seem that particles are no longer subjected to the LightingInfluence parameter (and should be, unless water foam should instead be considered a terrain texture and particles should be bright regardless of surrounding light). If spell effects are considered particles (I haven't done any testing yet on spell illumination), then perhaps it would be better to consider the water foam texture as a terrain texture instead of particle?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

No, it doesn' work like that. Like I said, LightingInfluence determines how much color will be picked from lighting (Ambient perhaps? Don't remember anymore, but most likely) and it doesn't affect intensity.

To set the intensity you can only use the intensity parameters, with 0.0 being totally black and 1.0 being fully lit (regardless of the environment).

So... particle texture shading/intensity has no influence whatsoever on how much light is upon them?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Of course it has, as is evident if you change the time and notice how the intensity changes. Think of the intensity parameters as a base value you can set. However, there's no support for dynamic light sources such as torches.

In some cases there's a discrepancy in the related texture intensities which is why one texture of a waterfall (for example) might be brighter than another especially in extreme situations like pitch black darkness.