ENB Crashes Skyrim

fixing bugs
  • Author

ENB Crashes Skyrim

Hi! So I am a brand new modder and still trying to figure things out, please forgive me if I sound dumb or don't know obvious things....

I think I correctly installed the latest version of ENB by copying the files "d3d9.dll", "enbhost.exe" and "enblocal.ini" into Skyrim's folder. Yet my game crashes every time just after the Bethesda logo fades out. I have absolutely no clue what to do now, as every fix I've been able to find doesn't seem to work. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the "d3d9.dll" file, because if I remove it there is no problem loading. Please help?

Specs:
Windows 8.1 64bit
i7 4790k
Geforce GTX 980m (4 gb)
24 gb RAM

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: ENB Crashes Skyrim

First of all, NVidia Optimus is an evil and somewhere after 5xx videocards i haven't seen any successful report of bugs fixing with laptop videocard, but may be users simply not bothered to answer if issues solved. Otherwise the most popular reasons of crashes and solutions:
1) DirectX Runtime standalone must be installed, download from MS web site, summer 2010 edition.
2) SKSE is installed and have default memory manager fix, preallocated amount of memory 768 mb - this is conflicting frequently if ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true set in enblocal.ini.
3) Incompatible SKSE plugin (ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true again).
4) SweetFX or ReShade is also placed in game folder, but sometimes they can't run together with ENBSeries, seems Win10 users have this problem. Remove files of those other mods.
5) Antivirus is running or UAC enabled.
6) Antialiasing enabled in game (antialiasing is not the same as anisotropic filtering, which is better maxed out). Or antialiasing forced in NVidia control panel.
7) GeForce Experience is installed and active - remove it.
8) Some screen capturing software, Steam overlay, Steam streaming, various things like Afterburner, D3D Overrider, EVGA, Logitek and Razer background processes, RadeonPro, etc etc etc may hook in to graphics and corrupt it. This is very popular problem last years and only terminating or fully uninstalling such software will help (for Steam - disable overlay and streaming).
Something else, i don't remember now.

Actually installing the DirectX Runtime Standalone fixed it! Thank you!

I don't know why Microsoft doesn't fix their stupid web installer; that has been a problem for years.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

It was common issue always, different dx runtime missed some older files, so games was unable to work.