Help with K-ENB flicker

fixing bugs
  • Author

Help with K-ENB flicker

I'm having this odd issue with default K-ENB settings and Superb ENB-RL 2.0 on high with SMAA added. Running Superb ENB-RL without SMAA added doesn't produce this issue. Oyama has been gracious enough to try to help me out to get his K-ENB mod working, but I don't want to make him feel like he has to help me. So, I'm requesting some of the pro's that frequent ENBDEV, that might be able to have a quick answer?

I have example videos here:
http://youtu.be/GsJR3VX7Fjo - first finding/low quality short video, but gets gist across.
http://youtu.be/UNlnW9n8-C8 - higher quality video, flickering WAY more defined
http://youtu.be/VByOovFko1I - flicker outside in Skyrim and specific spots in Euphoria Palace of the Sexy Maids of Skyrim I mod that do NOT have the flicker, longer video.

I have a good enough rig to run most everything maxed out. i5-3750k and a GTX-680 with a GTX-280 doing PhysX work (which I've disabled in device manager to rule it out being the issue). I was running nvidia driver 310.70, but because Oyama was helping me get his K-ENB working, I've downgraded to 306.97 to be on the same sheet of paper. I've also set my nvidia default, skyrim, and custom profiles all to run the same settings as he has shown for nvidia inspector.

I used to run all the following mods, however I've removed all environment affecting mods such as Skyrim Flora, Skyrim 2k HD, Minty's Lightning, Static Mesh and WATER:
A Quality World Map
ANIMCAM Hotkey
ApachiiSkyhair v15
Ashara Princess of the Woods - UNPB BBP (and base - pls assume other mods to have the base installed)
Better Females by Bella Natural Edition v1
Better Males Beautiful Nudes and faces - New Hairstyles - Faces - GeonoxFaces
Better Males Beautiful Nudes and faces - New Hairstyles - Nudes - FavoredSoulMeshes - Erect Version
Bouncy Bodices and Booties for UNPB and UNP
Brokefoot UNP Mashup Compilation UNP Mashup Compilation v1
Brokefoot UNP Mashup Compilation UNP BBP BBP Conversion
Doom Heavy Set - UNPB BBP (and base)
DreamBurrows Princess of the Woods Retexture
FNIS Behavior Files V332
FNIS Idle Spells V32
High Quality 3D Map
Lady of Death (and Base)
Lighting during Thunderstorms - MintyLightningMod v19
More Freckles by Zhoken
NPC Clothes Replacer Pack CHSBHC BBP
RaceMenu v134
Remodeled Armors - UNP Version Originally by Mak07 for CBBEv3M
Seductive Lips HD
Seraphine Armor - UNPB BBP (and base)
Sexy Maids of Skyrim I
Skyrim Flora Overhaul v175
Skyrim HD 2K v15 Full (Dungeons, Misc, Towns, Riften)
SkyUI
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
Tera Val Tirkai - UNP BBP
The Eyes of Beauty Player Unleashed
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
UNP Blessed Body UNPB v2-2 Standard Pack Fixed
UNP Replacer Configuration Package v19
W.A.T.E.R. - Water and Terrain Redux (I did let your mod overwrite a rapids.nif(?) file)
Witch Elf Armor - UNPB BBP (and base)
XP32 New Animation Package (NMM installer v201318)

Plugin Load order:
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
FNISspells.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
SkyUI.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
UFO- Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
MintyLightningMod.esp
bouncy_belts_and_stockings.esp
bouncy_bodices_for_unp.esp
boundy_booties.esp
MashupUNP.esp
Tera Val Tirkai - UNPB BBP.esp
SeraphineHuntedArmor.esp
Lady of Death.esp
Witch Elf Armour.esp
Doom Heavy Set.esp
AsharaPrinceOfTheWoods.esp
SMSkyrim.esp
WATER.esp

So, at the moment, no environmental or lighting mods, same driver settings as Oyama. Clean driver install. I've also disabled all options in SweetFX (set to 0). I'm at a total loss.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Help with K-ENB flicker

If it is the SweetFX that causes the glitches as you mentioned over at youtube, try putting the default SweetFX files inside your Skyrim folder and run ENB with it and see if it goes away.

default files can be found here

Also try using the enbinjector instead of the d3d9.dll wrapper and do this;

inside the enbseries.ini

[PROXY]

EnableProxyLibrary=false - Have this set to false as shown here.
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=sweetfx_d3d9.dll

rename your SweetFX .dll file to > d3d9.dll and see if the flickering goes away now.

Also which ENB version are you running? and which enbeffect.fx are you using??

If you are running v0.139 with K ENB's enbeffect.fx it will look off and the DNI coding inside the enbeffect.fx won't work as it should. But if you are using 0.132 - 0.136 the look will or should look the same and the DNI coding will work as it should work.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Please reiterate, do you have this issue with K ENB even without SweetFX or SMAA enabled through proxy? Does it flicker with the stock ENB files from Boris with SweetFX?

Does the situation change if you disable original game color correction by inserting // in front of this line in ebeffect.fx:

Code: Select all

#define APPLYGAMECOLORCORRECTION

Hey mindflux,

Thanks for your thorough response. I'll try to answer most everything to the best of my knowledge (I am at work currently and cannot respond to some items--your directions--but I will for sure when I get home at lunch). I'm on the USA EST and am taking an early lunch today at 10:30am (massive amounts of demo work in our home *sigh* water damage from a bad roof).

I believe I am using the 0132 d3d9.dll file.
As far as K-ENB, I'm using the latest download from Skyrim Nexus and no modifications at all.

At first I ran everything at defaults (I believe K-ENB already has really high settings, so I saw no need to change anything). Since the problem cropped up, I removed all of K-ENB, and wanted to test if the same problem was occurring with Superb ENB-RL2.0 without SMAA (because that is how I ran it before I tried K-ENB). I added the SMAA package to Superb to try to see what difference it made and it started doing the same/similar thing.

As far as the response about default SweetFX, I did go in and set everything inside the SweetFX settings file to 0. This should, in effect, turn everything off and not even make it relevant? Unless the below mentioned SweetFX_d3d9.dll file still gets called (just with all effects turned off) and would possibly causing the issues?

I have no idea how to work with the injector, is there a directions/faq page with instructions (I'll google in the meantime).

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Injector version is very easy to use, I recently described the process in this post. Disregard the bit about SKSE.

The proxy library (dll) is still getting called even if all the features are disabled, so it's not surprising that the bug still occurs.

By the way, you do have the latest DirectX installed, right? I have had some weird issues in the past because of not having installed the full redistributable.

Sorry to hear about the water damage, hope you get things sorted out soon enough.

If I am using the SKSE Launcher to launch Skyrim should I add it to the INI anyways? I'm using it for SkyUI. I can always disable it for now if necessary as well.

As far as DX... you mean the latest DX9? I believe so. I used the latest Microsoft DXweb launch/download utility for DX9, which theoretically SHOULD get the latest one. I'll try to track down the full redistributable just in case.

As far as the contractors... this has been in the process since September!!! GRRRRRR... and they always have some excuse for not getting stuff done. Poor wife's been having to deal with them. Even today... inspector was wondering why the contractor wasn't there yet, and apparently no one knows wtf is going on, and the guy said he'd be there yesterday (and didn't show). So, until the guy shows up, I won't head home just yet. Regular lunch time for me I guess (1.5 hours from now). One of the blessing of living across from work I guess. :)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Add the skse_loader to injector.ini file won't hurt to have it there.

Well I do have a guide located here with installation instructions and other stuff. And then you have the more technical guide made by InigoNeko/Mtichenor, his guide can be found here, it is inside the 1 file that is available for download there.

But as Mindflux said in that other post, run the ENBInjector.exe before you launch Skyrim. Also remember to close it down after you have finished your playthrough.

[strike]Will test in 15 mins and update this response.[/strike]

Well... F*ck me running!!! Wtf?!?! I figured it out!

eVGA Precision X was causing the issue I think! Now hear me out... I disabled Precision's overlay because I thought I'd read someplace that it, and other overlays, caused problems. So, I didn't think anymore of it after disabling it. So, after the driver downgrade to 306.97, I guess Precision re-enabled some settings, and the overlay was one of them...? Oddly enough.

So, after testing with ENB 1.32 Wrapper (still had the issue) and ENB 1.41 having the issue, I started uploading some of the videos. I noticed that on some of my vids it showed the overlay, however, in-game it did not show it!? So, I got pissed and killed Precision's processes outright.

I went and reloaded ENB 1.32 Wrapper and viola! No flickering!

I then thought, if THAT works... then what about copying all of K-ENB over... BAM!!! There ya go! http://youtu.be/Yn8K6OGFQdU MOTHER OF PEARL!!!!!! :evil: :roll:

BAM! http://youtu.be/pftwZIN_gWg

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Ach..... those overriders.... :oops:
Glad you had it working and apologizes for no assistance, been overwhelmed with job today.
Now you can enjoy my K's broken values :lol:

Good thing :D
Lian Li PC011 Dynamic, Corsair AX 1500i PSU, i9 10850K @5.0 Ghz, Aorus Z490 Ultra, RTX3090 MSI Gaming X Trio, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM@3600, Corsair MP600 1TB NVME System Drive, 10 TB Storage, W10 Pro 64, Custom Hard Tubing Watercooling Loop

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Sometimes it's down to the simplest things, goes for everything else in life as well I guess :lol:

Good going anyway, and nice videos. Those skies!

And as for the contractors, sounds pretty much like the bunch I've had the (mis)pleasure of knowing... Stay tough.