[GTA SA] ENBseries on Linux

fixing bugs
  • Author

[GTA SA] ENBseries on Linux

Hello,

I am a Linux gamer. I currently run Arch Linux (up-to-date) with Wine (also up-to-date) and I'm able to run GTA:SA properly this way. Modded texture/effects packs work flawlessy, but the only mod I've not been able to use so far is ENB (v 0.075c3). Even after putting the required files in the SA directory, pressing Shift + F12 ingame doesn't load ENB. I've tried debugging (logged the gta_sa.exe process) but nothing relevant came out. Now, I know that my case is not a priority because I'm on a different operating system, but I still think it'd help people running GTA on Linux/BSD (and there -are- a lot of Linux gamers today) who'd like to enhance their playing experience with ENB.

Have you got any advice, Boris?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [GTA SA] ENBseries on Linux

I never saw linux and don't know how it act if library is in game folder. Make fake empty d3d9.dll file and run the game, if it display error, then linux load library and something wrong in the mod and unknown to me. Otherwise i don't know how to force it load d3d9.dll in local folder.

Alright. With Wine's d3d9 library, ENB isn't being loaded. However, by forcing Wine to load a native d3d9 library, ENB is indeed loaded. However, the graphics are messed up with ENB, while they come back to normal after desactivating it:

Without ENB:

With ENB:

Any idea why it does that?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Perhaps driver bug, because bloom is working. Try older versions of the mod.

Btw why to try run heavy graphic mod under linux? If you afraid of viruses, use virtual pc, vmware or other soft for all internet "job". Windows license doesn't cost much, but linux only give a pain and time lost, no prestige, no quality, no bugs free. SM imho.

Linux only give a pain and time lost, no prestige, no quality, no bugs free
Then you definitely have never used Linux :( It's amazing because it's extremely fast, I've never had a single system bug, the updates are absolutely automatic (EACH application is upgraded in one single command) and don't require you to reboot your PC, it has gained in prestige for its good kernel coding & the community behind each Linux distribution, and if you ever have a problem, just Google it and you'll have a solution in no time.
And I used Windows for 10 years before that, so yeah, I know my stuff ^^ I'll try an older version of the mod and post results.

Also, my drivers are up-to-date (295.40).

EDIT: I think the reason this graphic bug happens is because textures are not correctly generated, look at the log:

Code: Select all

fixme:d3d_texture:wined3d_texture_generate_mipmaps texture 0x20aba8 stub!
fixme:d3d_texture:wined3d_texture_generate_mipmaps texture 0x56d4f50 stub!
fixme:d3d_texture:wined3d_texture_generate_mipmaps texture 0x1f6630 stub!
fixme:d3d_texture:wined3d_texture_generate_mipmaps texture 0x56d2f08 stub!
fixme:d3d_texture:wined3d_texture_generate_mipmaps texture 0x1f6630 stub!
The same block of errors is continuously repeated.

With older versions, textures don't disappear but the game lags a LOT:

ENB 0.075s:

ENB 0.075:

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Perhaps automatic mipmap generation do not work. Perhaps driver bug. I don't know how to help with linux, don't ask me.

Yeah, I believe the automatic mipmap generation is bugged. I'll look into that.

By the way, my graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Guess low performance for such card is not a problem, because it's not much slower than gf8600gt, which i had when developed the mod. Try different presets of enbseries.ini, for example AlternativeDepth=1 or usemrt=1

I guess that for this test, running ENB on Linux, someone with a better graphic card than mine would be helpful.

With UseMRTRendering=1 & AlternativeDepth=1, I'm able to run ENB, but it lags too much, so I have no other choice but to stop ENB. I need a tester with a better graphic card; I'll look for one (but, of course, if you have some time and you'd be glad to help, I'm not going to refuse :lol:).