Higher CPU usage with Frame Limiter

• Author

Higher CPU usage with Frame Limiter

Hi,

I run Skyrim SE with ENB on a nice gamer notebook (I7, GTX 3080, 32GB RAM, etc).
I always run the game with FPS limited to 40, because despite it being a nice rig, it tends to generate a lot of heat.

Today at Skyrim SE's menu page I noticed the following:

1- when FPS are limited to 40, the game's CPU consumption is around 20%.
2- when FPS is uncapped, CPU consumption drops to around 4%.

While "in-game" this seems to happen to, but to a lower degree.

Note that I have my GPU capped at 60FPS, from NVidia's control panel.
I can confirm that this higher CPU usage doesn't happen when I cap the FPS using NVidia's instead of the ENB function.

It's not a big hindrance, but... is this known information? is there a solution to this?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Higher CPU usage with Frame Limiter

Earlier fps limiter of enbseries didn't consume cpu. But on some rigs, including some laptops, this type of fps limiter didn't work, was longer than it should be. Windows do not have any special functions to do this any better, so after some reports and requests i made it precise but cpu time consuming. From other side, this do not have any serious impact on anything, because the code of fps limiter do not heat cpu much, it's too simple, no some heavy math, so executed only in tiny area of cpu. Cpu usage info or gpu usage info never reflects power consumption anyway or how many transistors are busy with the job. Anyway, if nvidia limiter works properly for you, then use it, cause on driver level most likely this can be done better with interrups rather than using Windows API functionality.