people with AMD cards, how does it perform in ENB?

• Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: people with AMD cards, how does it perform in ENB?

In general, you will have less issues with my mod if using NVidia card. Or with old AMD card and old driver for it. As i see from posts here, starting from 5xxx, 6xxx videocards, mod do not work for many users. For me it work with very old GPUs, HD6xxx which i have on laptop in crossfire mode.

Tested with Skyrim SE
Performace for me is very bad.

I "upgraded" from a Nvidia 1080Ti (its defect but still kinda works for some time) to an AMD 6900XT.
Even with all effects disabled I only get half the FPS with ENB loaded, especially when looking at far away objetcts (like Throat of the World from Whterun Gates).
Without ENB I get around double the fps compared to the 1080Ti, with ENB I sometimes drop below of what I was used to have. And nothing else has changed in my setup.
I haven't had any crashes yet, but I didn't play for very long, its just too frustrating.

So yea, AMD seems to perform bad with ENB.

Performance is fine for my Vega 56.

I'm rebuilding my mod list right now (again, *sigh*) so my game is pretty barebones, but with default RudyENB (for cathedral weathers) I can maintain over 60fps with no problems.
I suppose I can improve that further by turning off some stuff that i don't really like (such as *flares, dof, rays, etc) or tweaking some heavy effects.

https://i.imgur.com/s0zs6FX.png

That being said, I'm not a windows user, so I can't really speak for those folks.

*master*

SSE, got good perf also, I even run with injected RTGI @ 5K, only 10-15 FPS then, but it's playable, and looks to good to miss. Without RTGI, 20-30 fps (tweaked Rudy enb for Cathedral)

I'm running a 6800XT with Skyrim SE with a high of 143hz (limiter) and ~90hz low.
Preset is Silent Horizons for Cathedral Weathers.
ENB binary is SE v0.460. Aug 5 2021
Also running Aer's parallax shaders and SSE Display Tweaks.
Using Wrye Bash mod manager to avoid UVFS overhead and performance hit.

Hardware: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 RAM, 2x NVMe pcie 4x drives: one for OS, one for Steam library where SSE is located. 144hz 1440p IPS adaptive-sync monitor.

It is worth noting that I made sure to delete the \ENBcache directory after swapping from an Nvidia 1080ti to an AMD GPU. Seemed like a good idea to force a recompile of the HLSL shaders since I switched to a completely different GPU architecture and driver stack.

Ok, so after the post from Beermotor I tried again.

My Setup (R9 3900X, 32GB @3600MHz, Skyrim on 970 EVO, 240Hz Monitor) is pretty similar, so the results should be kind of the same?
RX 6900XT is a PowerColor Red Devil, no further OC applied, Powersupply is a Corsair RM850i, using 3 seperate 8Pin PCIe cables.
I did a fresh SkyrimSE install after swapping the Card and Drivers (via DDU) before, ENBcache shouldn't be a problem.

Did a fresh SSE install, fresh inis "ultra", just SKSE, Display Tweaks (and HotkeyFix for ALT+F4), ENB 0.460, drivers are UpToDate (21.7.1).
Using Rudy for Cathedral as Preset.

I'm still getting low FPS around 70 or 60, reproducible in the same areas (looking in the direction of the Throat of the World form Whiterun Stables or at South Shriekwind Bastion from the gates of Falkreath), while also getting around 120 - 150+ FPS "normaly".
My GPU utilization (around 60-70 instead of 85+), Core Clock Speed (drops to 900MHz instead of 1500 - 2000MHz+) and Power Consumption (around 100W instead of 200W+) are kind of low in those areas with low FPS.

OK, i noticed the low utilization also happens without an ENB in the same areas, but with overall higher FPS, so it was less obvious to me. So it's definitely (also) a driver issue.

But still, getting half the FPS for just ENB with all effects set to false seems kind of bad for me. And re-enabling all effects only costs around 5 FPS.

EDIT(kind of):
I have no idea what happend, but now my Card draws up to 300W and utilization is normal (90+) with ENB and all effects enabled. I dont think I did anything besides restarting SSE with and w/o ENB a couple of times.
I still only get 60 - 70 FPS in some areas, but it feels ...smother? Guessing the frametimes are more stable with the GPU actually working. (is there a way to see the frametimes within ENB like in ReShade?)
And it get's worse when I disalbe all effects via F12 because the utilization drops....?
I will test some more and will report back if I have a clue...

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

It's driver, the easiest sign to check is power consumption, applications can't influence it, so if card run not full speed, that's driver fault.

ENBSeries wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 06:50 It's driver, the easiest sign to check is power consumption, applications can't influence it, so if card run not full speed, that's driver fault.
Yes it is a bug. From what I've read from other AMD-specific forums, AMD got overzealous with the power management and introduced a bug that allows the card to downclock at inopportune times to save power.

I've played around with a few fixes but I can't report back with anything substantive yet.

Update on this:

I believe I found a work-around for some of the weird clock swing issues that were affecting framerate earlier for me.

Quick and dirty how-to:
  • Open the Radeon software utility
  • Go to the Skyrim Special Edition game entry
  • Select "Tune game performance"
  • Under "Tuning Control" select "Manual Tuning"
  • Under "Fan Tuning", set the toggle to "enabled"
  • Below that, look for "Zero RPM". Disable that shit.
  • Set Max Fan Speed slider to 100%
  • Hit "Apply" at the top. You can also save this off into an XML file if you want to back up the settings.
  • Profit.
This doesn't dramatically improve framerates but it does make them consistent and make sure your card doesn't bounce off of the thermal limits constantly.

YMMV on this but give it a shot and report back if this does or doesn't help. I'm curious if this is just me or if this is a bug that needs to be reported to AMD.

Update on this: the issue I alluded to in my last post has been fixed on RDNA2 (Navi 21) cards. Out of the gate the 22.10.2 WHQL driver can nail up 165FPS (capped) at 1440p (CPU=Ryzen 7 5800X3D) with ENB loaded.