Sharpening up ENB

• Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Sharpening up ENB

Currently I'm using FXAA with ENB to sharpen up the image but to be honest it's a bit of a double edged sword. Sometimes it looks great, adding a bit more depth and detail to the image, other times it just doesn't cut it, making the image look a little unrealistic and grainy.

How can I sharpen up ENB without using FXAA? I want to remove the hazy look, remove the grainy look from FXAA, and make it look in general a bit cleaner with more broader outlines.

Thanks in advance.

ENB Binary Archive

Intel i5 3570k @4.4ghz, 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1667hz, MSI Twin Frozr III R7950 BE @1.2ghz

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Sharpening up ENB

If post sharpening is out of the question, the only instant solution that comes to my mind is reducing the bloom. Bloom is usually the number one issue that makes the image hazy and smudgy. I do agree with sharpening, though. It usually works best with only miniscule amount, anything else looks grainy or pixelated. Furthermore, sharpening will certainly not reduce the haze.

You should take a look at Opethfeldt's config in the file area, I think his config is crisp and not nearly as mushy as many other configs.
Last edited by mindflux on 08 Feb 2012, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I'll take a look at it in regard to his bloom settings etc though see if I can garner something out of it to help me out. Personally I want to stick with my style, it's what I personally like (plus alot of people go for that more realistic look so I want something a little different too) so I just want to try and clean it up so I can remove the use of FXAA entirely if I can.

Thanks for the advice!

ENB Binary Archive

Intel i5 3570k @4.4ghz, 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1667hz, MSI Twin Frozr III R7950 BE @1.2ghz

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

As you can see in blursharpshift effect file, i'm doing blurring first, that's partial solution to fix bad sharpening. But fxaa must appear before that operation. Someone did fxaa based on enbseries, search on skyrimnexus for it. I have non finished version of modified game fxaa without blurring of textures, perhaps i'll activate it in next version.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I think you guys are talking about two different things, FXAA as in Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing and FXAA as in FXAA Injector that Unreal Warfare is currently using for post sharpening.

By the way, Boris, any chance of implementing SMAA instead of FXAA or is it not worth the trouble since the injector method works pretty fine? I think SMAA is far superior to FXAA.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

SMAA copyrighted as hell, i will not bother with it.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Damn. Crytek...