Skyrim particle patch for ENB

general download section
  • Author
*master*

Re: Skyrim particle patch for ENB

OK but I have it in my notes that only 4109 mode is recognized as fire by ENB. I'll check it tonight to verify.

EDIT: No, both modes are recognized as fire, my notes are confusing. NVM.

*master*

It seems the ChargeFire bug of fireball01handeffects.nif is still there somehow. Alpha is set to 4333 and people are reporting black hands.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Hmm weird, I too thought it was fixed a while ago.

*master*

Actually all the fire billboards/particles seem to be set to 4333 in that nif. Did you somehow include an older file in the archive?

*master*

You updated lightspellactorfx.nif and lightspellstaticlight.nif, but did you look at lightspellprojectile.nif and lightspellhazard.nif, I think they use the same effect.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Come to think of it, I probably used standard blending on purpose since otherwise the flames looked crappy and I didn't want to spend any more time on it. Not sure what's with the black hands, I'm pretty sure I didn't notice anything when I tested but it's possible that my testing methodology was somehow lacking.

I think I checked the two latter light spell effects as well and they required no changes.

*master*

I tried setting the Candlelight effect to standard blending like you did in the last patch and I got the same issue, a black dot in the middle (kind of intermittent). If you did not see such an effect then I have to assume it happens when my light particle (which is basically 4109 soft particle with a transparent texture) overlaps with a particle with standard blending. So I suppose it's not your problem.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

The renderer definitely has problems with transparency sorting so it's always a trade-off and some neat things are just not worth it due to flickering it results in.

*master*

I would appreciate it if you could find the time to read my guide and let me know if I made any blatant errors

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... icles/1391

Thanks

*master*

Well I've been ignoring an issue for a while and finally looked into it, and found out some bad news. Maybe you already know about it.

The engine seems to turn off particle systems in addon nodes in static objects (like braziers specifically) at a certain distance, and this distance doesn't appear to be fixed, in Markarth it's much lower than in Whiterun for example. It's possible it's related to poly count as Markarth is quite a bit more poly-heavy than Whiterun. In practice this means all my fire lights get turned off in cities unless you get close to the source. The thing is, if you replace the addon node with the actual particle system, it doesn't get LOD-ed, it keeps working at a distance. So I'm not sure what's the actual mechanism behind this, it could be even a bug?

In any case for me it means I'll have to copy the particle systems into every fire mesh which will make updating a nightmare. But I was thinking, have you noticed this problem with STAC, since it also uses addon nodes?