Xorchan's Modular ENB Effect.txt Framework

general download section
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Hi Folks,

I'm posting this here share a means of loading external post-processing shader libraries (i.e. SweetFX, FXAA Injector, InjectSMAA) while ONLY using the enbseries d3d9.dll -- NO PROXY LIBRARIES REQUIRED. Any number of post-processing shaders can be chained together for simultaneous use in ONE EFFECT.TXT FILE :)

All of the shaders from these other shader suites are post-processing shaders (i.e. applied to the flattened game image) and can be ported for native use with ENBseries through an effect.txt file. A Nexus user named Xorchan once helped me out by creating a modular effect framework to facilitate loading additional post-processing shaders along with ENB's internal shaders without requiring any additional .dll libraries --ONLY ENB's d3d9.dll.

Please find attached Xorchan's ENB Shader Framework, along with a number of sample shaders in effect.txt format. Install all the files in your Skyrim root folder, and then choose one of the effect.txt files from the 'Optional Effect Add-Ons' folder and copy it to your Skyrim root folder. Note the following:

- The shader are now 'modular'. In your root folder are 'common.fxh' and 'technique.fxh' files that contain elements that are COMMON to all shaders.
- The unique shader code is found in individual .fxh files found within the 'data > shaders' folder
- The effect.txt files now simply include the control variables, and an 'include' command to indicate which 'shaders' file should be referenced.
- The contents of the various effect.txt files can be 'stacked' within one effect.txt file if desired, just copy the corresponding variables and include command from any other shader into one file.
- A good one to try first is the FXAA Shader Suite effect.txt file; you can see how all of the FXAA Injector variables can be easily set in the effect.txt file.

Now, please also note that I have no training in HLSL or anything, I've just learned a bit by examining code and looking at the structure of documents and commands etc. So perhaps this could be further improved upon? Feel free to use/redistribute as you see fit. It should be fairly easy for folks familiar with HLSL to port the shaders from other suites (i.e. SweetFX, InjectSMAA) to this framework...

P.S. It should go without saying, but you must have an ENBseries d3d9.dll installed for any of this to work (not included with this download). Hopefully the current Skyrim ENB binaries still load effect.txt files, I'm not 100% sure. That being said, this framework should also work fine for Fallout and possibly some other recent ENB releases for other games.
Attachments
XorchanShaderFramework.zip
(34.4 KiB) Downloaded 1324 times
Last edited by tapioks on 25 Aug 2013, 20:49, edited 2 times in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Xorchan's Modular ENB Effect.txt Framework

Great initiative on this decision tapioks.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

always good to get rid of unnecessary overhead :)

--Jawz--
couldn't you make the functions accessible via the GUI now :)

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I hope some folks do find this useful, as there's a lot of potential here for having a very powerful and customized effect.txt file to include with ENB presets. I might take a look at trying to port the SweetFX shaders to the new framework myself this evening. It doesn't require really understanding much of the code at all, just being able to see the structures within the code.... though of course it's always easier said than done :P
couldn't you make the functions accessible via the GUI now
That would be SUPER cool... can the variables from effect.txt be exposed to GUI, or only from the enbeffect.fx file?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Precisely one "only" needs to see the pattern and how to re-arrange it somewhat for ENB use. not that hard just in most cases time consuming.

Yes the effect.txt file does have support for GUI functions as the .fx files, just have a look at my simple GUI converted BlurSharpShift effect.txt file here - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/40732//?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

tapioks wrote:I hope some folks do find this useful, as there's a lot of potential here for having a very powerful and customized effect.txt file to include with ENB presets. I might take a look at trying to port the SweetFX shaders to the new framework myself this evening. It doesn't require really understanding much of the code at all, just being able to see the structures within the code.... though of course it's always easier said than done :P
That would be SUPER cool... can the variables from effect.txt be exposed to GUI, or only from the enbeffect.fx file?

If you port SweetFX shaders to the new framework...I will die. Please do it!

*master*

tapioks wrote:- The unique shader code is found in individual .fxh files found within the 'data > shaders' folder
Not all games have a "data" folder, though. You should avoid unnecessary levels of directories - consider using an 'enbseries' as the location instead.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

agree with roxharis :)

enbseries->external_shaders <- for example

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard

*master*

tapioks wrote:I hope some folks do find this useful, as there's a lot of potential here for having a very powerful and customized effect.txt file to include with ENB presets. I might take a look at trying to port the SweetFX shaders to the new framework myself this evening. It doesn't require really understanding much of the code at all, just being able to see the structures within the code.... though of course it's always easier said than done :P

YES PLEASE!~

*master*

Someone needs to take all the SweetFX shaders and add them into this and build one big ass monster of a shader sweet for ENB.. :P