Hard freezes with ENB

fixing bugs
  • Author

Hard freezes with ENB

I'm having an issue with ENBs where the entire computer freezes and even ctrl+alt+delete doesn't work and I have to restart the computer manually. I've tried isolating the problem as much as possible and it seems it's definitely the ENB - in one recent fresh save I started, I toggled the ENB off and the game ran fine. The next attempt, I toggled the ENB on a very low graphics preset with SSAO off and it froze about 2-3 minutes in. The only other mods I'm running with the ENB are those associated with a Texture Pack Combiner mod, none of which alter anything outside the data folder.

I've tried to follow the installation instructions as closely as possible, including setting floatpointrendertarget to 1 in SkyrimPrefs.ini, and I've turned off antialiasing and anisotropic filtering in both my control panel and the game launcher.

As far as my comp:
Processor: AMD FX 8120 Eight-Core Processor, 3.11 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: MSi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Power Edition
PSU: 900W Rocketfish

To be more specific on what happens, after starting a fresh save, right around where Ralof mentions the horse thief, the entire computer freezes and nothing responds. The audio halts abruptly and nothing works, not even ctrl+alt+delete. The only way to get out is by doing a hard reset. I've tried running it without an ENB and it works up until the race menu, after which I decided it was fine and quit out. I've also tried using the injector version of the ENB and that didn't change anything.

Any thoughts on what this could be or what I'm doing wrong would be much appreciated!

Edit: By the way, I recently upgraded the GPU from an ATI Radeon 5670. At first I didn't uninstall the ATI drivers and it produced this: http://imgur.com/a/4VXgB After I uninstalled all my video drivers including registry entries, I reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers and it ran fine, but the freezing persisted.
Last edited by jdavis85 on 12 Jan 2013, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Hard freezes with ENB

Drivers (for videocard and conflictc between drivers), videocard overclocking, videocard hardware bug. Other potential problems are: you had ati drivers and they not removed entirely, some software is running on background (screen capture, overclocking, measurements, etc).

I'll try redoing the drivers. I followed a guide to make sure anything ATI was gone, but the freezing is still going on. I did recently upgrade the GPU from ATI and didn't uninstall previous drivers and this was happening: http://imgur.com/a/4VXgB

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Better reinstall windows from scratch, i don't know why this happen, but with old ati drivers never had issues, but with some relatively new got strange bugs and bsods in all games, even without enbseries they are not working if quality and resolution is set to very high. 2 or 3 times fall in this trap, so try reinstalling os (Acronis tools will help to make backup of logical drive if the trick will not help).

I had similar problems with the MSI GTX 670. What happened was that when the card reached 70°C it would crash (hard reset or black screen) due to some issues with the auto temperature down clock protection that Kepler has and the motherboard VBIOS. This usually happened after a few minutes of gameplay when the card was overloaded and was heating up (and it will be overloaded with ENB).

Anyway, the issue was solved by flashing my motherboard (MSI Z77A-G41) with the latest BIOS which had a fix for the problem. Works without issue since. So look for a updated BIOS for your motherboard or contact the manufacturer.

You can also try to force the card to PCIe 2.0 if you're currently running in PCIe 3.0.