Dark Souls 2 v0257

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*master*

Re: Dark Souls 2 v0257

ChaosDuck wrote:
wickfut wrote:Yes, you're right. I get a very slight on/off when the statue is just about to go offscreen. It's barely noticeable now though.
So you're saying that the rate of the AO flickering decreased after you applied a "fresh" Inspector profile for the game? I'll try that, but I must say I'm skeptic, it'll set everything to application controlled by default.
I'm saying that the tower of flame used to flash on and off like a strobe light, now it does it once during a 360' rotation - and I only notice it when I look for it.

Boris, would it be possible to add dynamic shadows and god rays? Dynamic shadows that cast on the player would be nice.
Last edited by CyberPunked on 07 May 2014, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

My Flickr for all things flickry

CyberPunked wrote:Boris, would it be possible to add dynamic shadows and god rays?
The game already has both. Sort of. The sun casts projected shadows which actually look better than Skyrim's vanilla shadows, and some light objects also cast projected shadows.

ChaosDuck wrote:
CyberPunked wrote:Boris, would it be possible to add dynamic shadows and god rays?
The game already has both. Sort of. The sun casts projected shadows which actually look better than Skyrim's vanilla shadows, and some light objects also cast projected shadows.
But there are a lot of areas that don't

CyberPunked wrote:But there are a lot of areas that don't
Yeah - areas that don't have a light source. It seems like this engine works the same way the Episode 2 Source Engine works. There can only be one dynamic light/dynamic shadow caster at a time in any given environment. However, the sun ALWAYS casts shadows, even the moon does, they are just very faint.

CyberPunked wrote:
ChaosDuck wrote:
But there are a lot of areas that don't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JFDPCtXFY

This is what the game looked like pre-downgrade. There are actual shadows cast on the player, and every light sources cast dynamic shadows.

CyberPunked wrote:This is what the game looked like pre-downgrade. There are actual shadows cast on the player, and every light sources cast dynamic shadows.
Interesting, I hadn't seen that video. In light (see what I did there?) of that video, I must agree with you - the game looks way worse now. I won't answer on behalf of Boris, because I don't know what he's capable of doing (just look at the crazy stuff he's done with Skyrim) but from a hip-shot I would guess he can't place new light sources into the game.

ChaosDuck wrote:
CyberPunked wrote:This is what the game looked like pre-downgrade. There are actual shadows cast on the player, and every light sources cast dynamic shadows.
Interesting, I hadn't seen that video. In light (see what I did there?) of that video, I must agree with you - the game looks way worse now. I won't answer on behalf of Boris, because I don't know what he's capable of doing (just look at the crazy stuff he's done with Skyrim) but from a hip-shot I would guess he can't place new light sources into the game.
I wouldn't think he'd have to. Just make the all existing light sources cast shadows. I too have no idea what he's capable of with Dark Souls, but if he continues to develop the ENB so it's as advanced as Skyrim's, then it should be pretty nice.

Look at this image of Fallout New Vegas ENB. Those dynamic shadows were nowhere to be seen in the vanilla game.

Yeh, dynamic shadows would be very very nice. They were removed from the game because of console limitations. Would it be possible to add them in, Boris? The Fallout 3 ENB has it i think.

I happen to have followed the development of the Fallout ENB very very closely, I am probably the biggest Fallout 3 fan you will see for a long time. I completed the game 100+ times.

The shadows for the Fallout ENB aren't actual projected shadows. Notice how they are unable to cast very far, and it looks kinda fake. Sure, it works well for characters and small details, but in general big areas it doesn't add anything that AO wouldn't. The reason Boris was unable to add projected shadows? The engine doesn't have the prerequisites, and Boris doesn't have the source code. He might be able to perform fantastic things, but he's no magician. Let's hear his word on it, though.