Dark Souls 2 v0257

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author

Re: Dark Souls 2 v0257

ChaosDuck wrote: The shadows for the Fallout ENB aren't actual projected shadows. Notice how they are unable to cast very far, and it looks kinda fake. Sure, it works well for characters and small details, but in general big areas it doesn't add anything that AO wouldn't.
I'd be happy with this. I'm sure having both AO and the 'dynamic shadows' would be better than just AO. I have full faith that Boris will do what ever he can with what the game allows him.

My Flickr for all things flickry

Damn fine work Boris! :D

Not bad, even when comparing to per-downgrade graphics

Boris, I've noticed that the flickering seems to occur mostly in the bright areas. If you look at this video you can see that when standing in the shade in a certain area doesn't cause flickering, but when i walk up the hill to the brighter section, flickering occurs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejMU_vV ... e=youtu.be

ChaosDuck wrote:The engine doesn't have the prerequisites, and Boris doesn't have the source code. He might be able to perform fantastic things, but he's no magician. Let's hear his word on it, though.
Well then, it's a good thing that the engine for Dark Souls II is not an issue here and it is simply a matter of the parameters of each light source needing to be overridden.

I've seen several light sources in the game that do one of these three:
1. Casts NO shadows
2. Casts only character and object shadows
3. Casts shadows for everything - character, objects, and the level geometry itself

All we (well, really, Boris) need to do is figure out how to override the variable that determines what objects the light casts shadows with. Flip that switch and we're already there. It's actually extremely frustrating knowing that From could very easily do this or provide an option for it, but they don't, despite it requiring basically no manpower and an hour's worth of time.

Zyrusticae wrote:
ChaosDuck wrote:The engine doesn't have the prerequisites, and Boris doesn't have the source code. He might be able to perform fantastic things, but he's no magician. Let's hear his word on it, though.
Well then, it's a good thing that the engine for Dark Souls II is not an issue here and it is simply a matter of the parameters of each light source needing to be overridden.

I've seen several light sources in the game that do one of these three:
1. Casts NO shadows
2. Casts only character and object shadows
3. Casts shadows for everything - character, objects, and the level geometry itself

All we (well, really, Boris) need to do is figure out how to override the variable that determines what objects the light casts shadows with. Flip that switch and we're already there. It's actually extremely frustrating knowing that From could very easily do this or provide an option for it, but they don't, despite it requiring basically no manpower and an hour's worth of time.
It is incredibly frustrating that From Software have been this lazy. That being said, I hope Boris can fix this by making all light sources cast shadows for everything.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

CyberPunked
would it be possible to add dynamic shadows and god rays? Dynamic shadows that cast on the player would be nice.
Rays already exist. But if you mean similar to Skyrim rays with clouds, i can't do them, because sun in the game not exist as object, don't know where is it and if it covered by clouds or not. And i can't use saved games to check all locations and build tables of sun vectors (or anything else). And the shadows, where to get sources of them? I don't see anything yet. Game use shadows semi deffered, some lights with them, some are not, but it's definetly harder to do anything compared to skyrim. Anyway, even for skyrim i wasted a lot of time to find out tricks for many effects, may be same will happen to DS2 mod (but definetly forget about shadows from all lights, its not just the shader thing, ChaosDuck right about this).

Zyrusticae
You asking things which i never do, VAC ban guaranteed and it's illegal.

ENBSeries wrote:CyberPunked
would it be possible to add dynamic shadows and god rays? Dynamic shadows that cast on the player would be nice.
Rays already exist. But if you mean similar to Skyrim rays with clouds, i can't do them, because sun in the game not exist as object, don't know where is it and if it covered by clouds or not. And i can't use saved games to check all locations and build tables of sun vectors (or anything else). And the shadows, where to get sources of them? I don't see anything yet. Game use shadows semi deffered, some lights with them, some are not, but it's definetly harder to do anything compared to skyrim. Anyway, even for skyrim i wasted a lot of time to find out tricks for many effects, may be same will happen to DS2 mod (but definetly forget about shadows from all lights, its not just the shader thing, ChaosDuck right about this).
I thought this would be the case. The only bug that seems to remain in the Ambient Occlusion flickering. Do you think you will be able to fix this? Here's another video showing a location in Majula that you can stand to test the bug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejMU_vVnTek

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

With the newest binary I had no more AO flicker until I updated to the latest beta Nvidia drivers. Now I have it.

Boris, something completely different: would you consider, if easily done, to add optional hotkeys to disable DOF and AO? I'd like to see that in every ENB you do by the way, as it's one of the things I go to the GUI for most frequently when I'm testing and tweaking settings. The possibility to set a key toggle for both would be super sweeet.

Midhrastic WIP ENB for Fallout
More current and archived shots on my Flickr. Selected shots via Flickrock or Fluidr.

It's odd, I don't have any AO flickering in Majula, anywhere. The only place I've really noticed it is Heide's Tower.

And I second the hotkey thing.

ChaosDuck wrote:It's odd, I don't have any AO flickering in Majula, anywhere. The only place I've really noticed it is Heide's Tower.
Yeh you've got to stand in the right place in Majula: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejMU_vVnTek

Also if you go to Aldia's Keep and stand where the giant dragon skeleton is it happens. It's just a really irritating bug that you know is going to happen at any time.