Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.249

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fallout 3 / New Vegas 0.249

Ah, that's a pity. Thanks for looking into it nonetheless, Boris. Even if the Skyrim engine is buggy like no tomorrow, it did do some things better than the older Fallout rendition, apparently.

I wish a modder turned up that would fix the alpha qualities of the hairs for once and all, though. Strangely, the alpha 'bug' becomes more apparent under certain angles. I've noticed that when I shoot at an angle where there are no bugs, point lights (such as the lights on the Pipboy) become blank as well, i.e. they don't shine when AO and shadows look fine. It's really strange.

I'm on vacation now, so I can't troubleshoot, but I've sort of come to terms with the fact that Fallout is just a bit more difficult to get looking consistently good.

Midhrastic WIP ENB for Fallout
More current and archived shots on my Flickr. Selected shots via Flickrock or Fluidr.

*sensei*

I did fix the hair alpha problems, but only a few were interested in it, and new modders don't test their hairdo's out with ENB
to make sure the alpha blend method used in the nif file plays nice with ENB.

but it is quite easy to do yourself, there are only 30 or something haircuts in Fallout,
simply umpack them from the meshes bsa and open them with nifskope and set the alpha blend method to a different one.
there are like 4 blend methods, one of them works perfectly fine with ENB, i believe it was 45

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Oh, thanks for that Marcurios. I believe I'm using your fixed hairs but at some angles I still get issues. I'll see if tinkering with them helps.
Say, what's the story on URWL for Fallout 3 (interiors)? I believe last thing I heard was that you were playing through the game in order to find all the fog clipping values. That's something I'm really looking forward to. Also, I've been enjoying your skills mod. Are you going to continue work on that, or is it scrapped?

More current and archived shots on my Flickr. Selected shots via Flickrock or Fluidr.

*master*

I don't know if it's the same issue with hair that is being discussed, but I resolved it somewhat by changing the alpha test threshold for the NiAlphaProperty (to 120 or 128) and removed the NiStencilProperty if it has one (usually hairs ported from some other game have this). The blending mode was 4845. Here's a before and after screenshot: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/472 ... ompare.jpg

I'm afraid I've not spent much time modding Fallout, so I don't know if this has already been done by someone else or if a better solution is available.

*sensei*

@Midhras,
Maeldun is right, the stencilproperty value is the one you should alter, and the alphaproperty can be edited too to set alpha blend.
The latter would probably do the trick if you use my fixed hairs, you can set the blend values between 0 and 256.

I will finish the skills mod one day, but i have been busy with earning some money through Unity Game Asset creation,
I'm in debt so i need to put my time into labour that brings some food to the table so to speak, modding just isn't going to cut it.
I believe you have the latest interior plugin (not quite sure though), but i'll make a deal with you, you just play through Fallout, and if you'll find a interior
that has clipping issues (besides from the citadel, that one is flawed internally), then just send me the name of the affected interior (you can see the right name in the pipboy),
and i will adjust the fog clipping values and send you a update.
That way i don't have to spend countless of hours running through Fallout again and you get your wish granted, it's a win-win for both of us.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Okay, thanks you two for the info on the hairs. I'll see if I can get that fixed.

Of course providing comes before entertainment. Glad to see that you've found a way to do so.
Once I start actually playing Fallout, I'll be sure to write up a list of places. Maybe I can call on the help of the people that play using ENB. I won't be bugging you with every small addition, but once I get a few, I'll be sure to send 'm to you. Thanks in advance!

*sensei*

Last edited by Rubber-De-Flubber on 25 May 2022, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Thanks Rubber. Really, all I need to get the hairs fixed is the inclination to just launch (for the first time) the programs necessary to fix this, and the time dedicated to doing so. I've always been a lazy bum, hoping someone would do it for me and release a mod, but I think I may have to force myself to actually do it this time. A good thing, when it happens.

I am sorry, I am too lazy to read all the topic, but you are talking about the ENB glowing/shadowing hair problem, it has been fixed in this mod.
These meshes work better with ENB however your experience with them may vary. They remove that weird shadow ENB can cause but can tend to blur the edges of textures slightly. Try them out and see if Hair looks less buggy with an ENB installed.
Worked for me.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Version updated
Minor fix of visual bugs which appear in old versions when ENBSeries editor is active (via shift+enter).