GTA V

post screenshots of enbseries
  • Author
*sensei*

Re: GTA V

@ubtri
nice shots mate)
ShakeZone wrote:@Xilandro
But those pics are from your latest rahancer graphics? or..it will be a new update?
Because your curent timecyc doesn't look like that :(
It's just experimental stuff not in rhancer, and I want to know if people like it and I should keep working on it, or it's trash and I should move into another direction and keep tweaking rhancer as it is now.

@Xilandro

Do you really ask me this?
OFC, PICS ARE AMAZING.We want reality in this game,not cartonish graphics,full of contrast
So keep up the good work
Congrats

Xilandro wrote:@ubtri
nice shots mate)
Thanks! Yours are always great. ;)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Xilandro
I like some shots at page 8, they just look flat because of no good ambient occlusion in the game. Also the problem in loss of microdetails on oversaturation. I don't know if exposure parameter exist in weather setting, but in shader i do see it.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Xilandro
I think you should definitely continue in this direction, definitely the best we've seen so far with GTA5. Like Boris said the main problem is the lack of good occlusion, not sure if there's anything you can do about it. Otherwise some of the screens look surprisingly realistic (for a game, of course).

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

ENBSeries wrote:Xilandro
I like some shots at page 8, they just look flat because of no good ambient occlusion in the game. Also the problem in loss of microdetails on oversaturation. I don't know if exposure parameter exist in weather setting, but in shader i do see it.
Exposure is part of the Camera Lens Setup, you can virtualy change it anyway you want and try to mimic some specific lens setup for example Nikon with it's high saturation results :)
Xilandro wrote:
CruNcher wrote:Yep if only Material properties would be better distinguishable it would be awesome :)

Though you realize that they just started to work implementing PBR/PBS into Rage :)

It will be really interesting to see how the ex Senior Lighting Artist of Crytek is going @ Rockstar for now he was mainly responsible only for the Cutscenes Lighting in GTA 5 PC :)
If there is some kind of PBR - it's everything but not PBR, if you ask me. You have like 4 main lights (direct, ambient direct, natural ambient up, natural ambient down), 2 extra (artifical up and down), and fake bounce light. And you need to set it up manually. Every single parameter, from color to intensity. Like you're working with rage from IV, just with some more settings (what, I assume, is true).

I don't know who's responsible for ingame lighting, but with this system he actually did a bit weird job. Fog that kicks you in the face (and no, ugly distant LOD is not an excuse, you still can hide it with some fog, but not that fkn much), colors far from reality... Maybe it's because of game's rating, and R* were like "make it pop, make it fancy, and nothing realistic, we don't want to deal with angry parents complaining that the game's too real and too violent". Or maybe it's something else, I don't know.

Here's original image without photo + few shots from different angle. Looks like crap really =\

Fog and Smog values are nothing unnatural if you look @ Photos of LA and yeah it looks like sometimes they overdone it to reach a certain aha effect (especially directly in the streets) because it doesn't really look like to hurt performance much, you especially realize this if you see the volumetric atmosphere becoming visible and lighting up the scene it gives a pretty nice effect and feeling im not sure if it's good to destroy that entirely , to clean is not always good some interferences can be nice especially when the surrounding lighting still lacks and looks flat ;)

Especially Smog is a very big problem the team from Watch_Dogs also tried to resemblance it for Chicago :)

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard

*master*

*sensei*

Yeah, there is exposure parameter in weathers, Yet I lost even more details if I push it up. Images do look flat not just because of lack of good ambient occlusion (there's a file "hbaosettings" or something like that, will play with it sometime later, maybe I can make it look a bit better), but also because I'm lowering the contrast (and pushing up saturation to remove washed out effect) a lot to smooth transitions between light and shadow, thing called "terminator" on this picture:

And that's probably my biggest mistake.

CruNcher wrote: Fog and Smog values are nothing unnatural if you look @ Photos of LA and yeah it looks like sometimes they overdone it to reach a certain aha effect (especially directly in the streets) because it doesn't really look like to hurt performance much, you especially realize this if you see the volumetric atmosphere becoming visible and lighting up the scene it gives a pretty nice effect and feeling im not sure if it's good to destroy that entirely , to clean is not always good some interferences can be nice especially when the surrounding lighting still lacks and looks flat ;)

Especially Smog is a very big problem the team from Watch_Dogs also tried to resemblance it for Chicago :)
Aye, completely agree, some beautiful effects kicks in only when whole place is filled with fog, and cutting them out is a crime. But smoggy city from the mountain on the shot doesn't look that smoggy if you're in the city. It's a lot more clear and you can definitely see much far than 15-20 cars away. In all vanilla weathers fog starts at distance 0 with enormous density values:

This looks like an overkill to me, smog\fog is literally all over the place.
And that's not the whole story. You still can get sweet looking smog in the city from the distance with setting called "haze fog", that tries to replicate (again, manual color, int, dens, nothing pbr-ish) "Rayleigh scattering". It works just like fog, but has slightly different settings and distance can be fine tuned. And I hope I'll hit the sweet spot to get smoggy look and nice haze, but keeping the city clean enough to see in the distance.

Oi, Watch_Dogs Chicago smog looks a lot better than Los Santos one, and looks a lot more natural to me.

@ShakeZone
Ye I asked cuz latest shots looks like crap to me, but thanks =D

@mindflux
Thanks. Well looks like I'll keep trying. And about occlusion, that hbaosettings file.. It might fix some issues if tweaked good.

Here's the code if you guys are curious.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<HBAO_Parameters>
  <HBAORelativeStrength value="1.000000" />
  <CPRelativeStrength value="0.700000" />
  <HBAORadius0 value="0.100000" />
  <HBAORadius1 value="0.500000" />
  <HBAOBlendDistance value="25.000000" />
  <CPRadius value="1.500000" />
  <MaxPixels value="50.000000" />
  <CutoffPixels value="1.000000" />
  <FoliageStrength value="0.500000" />
  <HBAOFalloffExponent value="5.000000" />
  <CPStrengthClose value="0.300000" />
  <CPBlendDistanceMin value="0.001000" />
  <CPBlendDistanceMax value="100.000000" />
</HBAO_Parameters>

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Xilandro
That "terminator" image is fail, probably made for 2d artists, i remember something like that from old painter books. HDAO will not helps, because you need ao in macro size, like skylighting in gta4 or skyrim. Do not delete that setting, it may look great when i'll implement required effects.

*sensei*

That "terminator" image is fail, probably made for 2d artists, i remember something like that from old painter books. HDAO will not helps, because you need ao in macro size, like skylighting in gta4 or skyrim. Do not delete that setting, it may look great when i'll implement required effects.
ye found it in this book: http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials/light01.htm
Lol now I have no idea where I should look for good cgi lighting tutorials, explanations, yada yada yada =) I may install max+vray + some city models just to see how it really works when math and real stuff kicks in, jeez that will take tons of time T_T maybe you know some really good books that actually explain lighting better than tutorial I've found? Googled good tuts but meh, found mostly crap like "set up kelvin correctly in c4d for awesome realistic lighting" =D

Okay, won't touch those settings at all.