TES Skyrim 0.279

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*master*

Re: TES Skyrim 0.279

Boris:
have you decided on new equipment or are you in need of help to get it?

EDIT: I ask because I am thinking of changing vendor...maybe AMD could save me some grief lately?

*sensei*

MOTOSXORPIO wrote:EDIT: I ask because I am thinking of changing vendor...maybe AMD could save me some grief lately?
DON'T DO IT CAPTAIN!

Seriously, every AMD product I have tried (with the exception of the XTX1900 I bought for Oblivion which I actually loved) has been a huge disappointment. Noisy, buggy drivers, overly hot, and unreliable.

Honestly if you want to avoid the grief, avoid EVGA like the plague. They are a TERRIBLE company that make incredibly poor quality products that fail more often than any other and they will do everything they can to screw you out of your warranty.

Best bet would be to go with ASUS or Gigabyte and an NVIDIA card. Just my humble opinion and experience.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

MOTOSXORPIO
Not decided yet. At this moment having hard times with recently purchased tascam recorder for field recording purposes and once again dissapointed in modern devices, s/n measured level -53db is the best i can get and it's enormously huge amount of noise, like 30 y.o. cassette tape. With every purchase i feel myself an idiot for trusting modern vendors. I'm so mad because of nvidia now, that seriously thinking about switching to buggy amd which was not that much pain for me and do not support nvidia cards any more. Of course amd and nvidia are both evil shit, but i can't just waste money again for nvidia (even thinking about selling new rig and get back to old one, because new is buggy).

*master*

from my experience, and i had both AMD and NVIDIA over the many years, NVIDIA is the clear winner in many aspects. i had a lot more feature/driver bonus with nvidia. just look at their wiki for newly released games, they do dozens of pages for every new game with detailed descriptions and screenshot comparisons of every feature in their driver and so on. e.g. witcher 3: amd has one page... telling you how to try to workaround enabling a feature that they dont have in their cards, and telling you about a crossfire bug with the game. i mean... this is a blunt example, but it shows what i mean.
i could not really follow why you hate them now. but i think AMD is the same shit. shit everywhere nowadays ;) so i would go with the least shit!

also besides those "flickering in mediaplayer", what else is it that bugs your pc now?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Phinix wrote:
MOTOSXORPIO wrote:EDIT: I ask because I am thinking of changing vendor...maybe AMD could save me some grief lately?
Seriously, every AMD product I have tried (with the exception of the XTX1900 I bought for Oblivion which I actually loved) has been a huge disappointment. Noisy, buggy drivers, overly hot, and unreliable.
With AMD it's basically the same situation, it depends on the vendor and specific version you get. Sticking with Asus and Sapphire will get you a good card. At the moment, it looks like, depending on what performance bracket you want, AMD is kinda the way to go. This will likely change again in 6 months, but right now it really seems that way. I'd avoid the R9 390 cards since they're power hungry, hot and fast versions of the 290's (performance should be up around the GTX 980 though). However, the R9 380 cards seem to be really quite good (comparable but probably a little faster than 970), as well as the Fury line-up. The Fury cards are actually really impressive.

If I were to buy a new card right now (which I'm not) my first choice would be a Fury X (if there was room in my case for the AIO liquid cooler; vendor doesn't matter too much here) or the Sapphire Fury Tri-X. If I wasn't going for the ultra high end, I'd get the R9 380X. 6 months ago I would've done 980 or 970, probably from ASUS.

Nvidia does have better overall support, as benhat mentions, but as far as hardware goes, AMD has it right now. Each to their own though. If you're sick of what you have and want to try something else, jump to the other side and hope it's better. It's likely you'll find some fix for whatever problem you have, but you'll have other problems. Do your research, make your purchase and hope it doesn't die.

EDIT: Oh and AMD CPU's are crap... but we all know that.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

benhat
With upgraded rig i have much longer time at computer startup (but fast as it should at reset), about 10 seconds of bios info and logo, hard drives frequently not initialized (i have several), so i need to boot first default one, then restart and via f12 menu select different hdd to boot. This is motherboard bug, didn't have this previously. XP ethernet drivers (realtek) makes some web sites not working, for example frequently i cannot logout from e-mail even when trying to open link in new browser window, this forcing me to use win7 to work in i-net. Instead of peaceful xp usage i've been forced to be psycho in win7 all the time, unable to go in toilet and kitchen, because it starts to fuck my harddrives to death with turned off every possible services and tasks. The point of upgrade was to "fix" nvidia driver bug which not allowed to work my sound card with gf6xx cards and old motherboard nforce chip based (nvidia too). I don't trust nvidia, they have much better drivers, but personally for me it's a story with bad ends, it's simple - every nvidia card dies for me after 1-3 years and idea to buy another one as last xp supported drivers is 100% same fatality. I need videocard which will work 10+ years, no more upgrade, no more new os, enough for me, better be safe than sorry.

ENBSeries wrote:benhat
I need videocard which will work 10+ years, no more upgrade, no more new os, enough for me, better be safe than sorry.
I'm sorry to disappoint you, bat that is very unlikely no matter what you purchase. The shrinking of the processes also decreases the overall lifetime of the chips.

Your issues sound like you might want to get a good mobo before upgrading your gpu. Did you do some research on the bios? The latest is not necessarily the best.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Spock
That's why old hardware is better, 65nm downclocked rules.
I can't upgrade any more motherboards, this one the last with ethernet xp drivers for haswell cpu. Anyway, it doesn't matter, when i expect issues, they always happen to me, call this intuition, so for me better to not buy anything or to go for amd, because i'm sure problems with nvidia will be my doom forever. Silence and stability is all i need.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Folks, i see a lot of posts about 4 gb limit for dx9 applications of vram size available (vram+ram actually, local and non local "vram"), even for users with much more video memory available. Why not just make a thread at nvidia forum (driver section i guess) with request to fix that? This isn't hard to modify for driver developers and some users have bigger values with almost same gpu, nobody knows why. Bigger size very important for performance with lot of texture mods installed and ENBoost enabled. Though 99.9% dx9 games unaffected at all. Or make similar thread on guru3d, may be some users know where in drivers to set such shared video memory size (don't know if it's called "shared" at all).

Boris

Before Windows 10 came out I was mostly using XG modded drivers for nvidia graphics card. I can contact the author and ask him about this issue and inform you back.

I did contact him but he said "I do not think it is possible to break the limit without creating some major bugs in the driver."
Last edited by Looky on 05 Aug 2015, 11:47, edited 2 times in total.