Fallout 4 0.282 ENBoost

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author

Re: Fallout 4 0.282 ENBoost

tapioks wrote:Hi Guys,

I decided to make a video to demonstrate ENB 0.282, including the installation process with respect to VRAM test:

There is some major misinformation in your video regarding VSync. ENB's Vsync is currently the best form of Vsync available for Fallout 4. Why? Because FO4's stock Vsync introduces input lag if you are not at full FPS, even with mouse acceleration off. This was a bug with Skyrim as well that they eventually corrected, but it's back with Fallout 4. There's also a 30fps limit if you are running fullscreen mode, and this ALSO introduces input lag! Thus it's best to turn Fallout 4's Vsync off in FalloutPrefs (iPresentInterval) and just use this one.

It is also superior to Adaptive Vsync because Adaptive Vsync WILL have screen tearing.

As a sidenote, ENB's frame limiter is also the only frame limiter anyone should be using. If you try to enforce an fps limit through your drivers, this will cause input lag as well.

So in summation, ENB's VSync and Frame Limiters are the only method I've seen to do both these things without any sort of input lag or screen tearing. Use em.

Bonnie Lass wrote:As a sidenote, ENB's frame limiter is also the only frame limiter anyone should be using. If you try to enforce an fps limit through your drivers, this will cause input lag as well.

So in summation, ENB's VSync and Frame Limiters are the only method I've seen to do both these things without any sort of input lag or screen tearing. Use em.
Well, MSI Afterburner (RivaTuner) fps limiter is also working great, no any input lag.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

@Bonnie Lass

There is no misinformation in my video because all I claim is that I notice no difference with the vsync effect, I do not claim that it does nothing.
There is, however, misinformation in your comment:
Thus it's best to turn Fallout 4's Vsync off in FalloutPrefs (iPresentInterval) and just use this one.
Boris himself says that the in-game vsync needs to be enabled to see any benefit from ENB's vsync feature. From the mod page:
Game vsync must be enabled to see any difference, mine is mostly useful for users with 120 and 144 Hz displays.

tapioks wrote:@Bonnie Lass

There is no misinformation in my video because all I claim is that I notice no difference with the vsync effect, I do not claim that it does nothing.
There is, however, misinformation in your comment:
Thus it's best to turn Fallout 4's Vsync off in FalloutPrefs (iPresentInterval) and just use this one.
Boris himself says that the in-game vsync needs to be enabled to see any benefit from ENB's vsync feature. From the mod page:
Game vsync must be enabled to see any difference, mine is mostly useful for users with 120 and 144 Hz displays.
I don't see how that can be possible. With the frame limiter off and iPresentInterval set to 0 in FalloutPrefs.ini, it caps Fallout 4 to 60 fps. If I turn off ForceVSync, it's no longer capped at 60fps and will start screen tearing. It is clearly working without the in-game vsync turned on, you can test for yourself.
Last edited by Bonnie Lass on 14 Nov 2015, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

Where exactly are you reading that line? I don't see it anywhere on the enb site. It can't be the nexusmods page, because it says this there:

"ForceVSync - this is a bit different thing compared to game vsync, i won't
describe how it works, but for some game setting and users it could be very
useful, better than own game vsync."

Well I found where he says it, he says it in a comment to somebody on the nexusmods page.

Boris, can you please investigate this? Your Vsync appears to be working without having to have the default vsync on at all. I can reproduce it easily. I just boot the game up with ipresentinterval=0 and your fps limit off, and the fps skyrockets. As soon as I tick 'ForceVSync' in the ENB menu, it properly caps and there's no screen tearing whatsoever.
Last edited by Bonnie Lass on 14 Nov 2015, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Hi Bonnie,

I pulled that from one of Boris' comments on his Nexus mod page. I'm not trying to pick an argument here, I concede that I do not know the ENB vsync feature really works or how it is meant to work. I just replied to your initial comment to suggest that my video does not have any 'major misinformation' about vsync; I just speak honestly about my personal experience with the feature. In any case, there will be plenty of opportunity for more videos, and I am happy to make corrections and amendments to my comments as appropriate. So, if I learn to better understand ENB's vsync or I am able to identify some benefit on my own (or if someone else can demonstrate the benefit to me), then I will likely cover this in a future video.

Seriously though, no hard feelings. I am just an enb 'enthusiast' making videos, not a real 'expert'..

I'm not trying to make an argument either, I'm just genuinely confused.

Doing some more testing, it does appear that Boris's ForceVSync feature actually corrects the bug that limits Fallout 4 to 30fps in fullscreen mode. So while it may still work when you turn it off, it appears like it's unnecessary to do so.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Hmm, that's curious. For me, Fallout is not limited to 30 FPS in fullscreen mode , even without ENB. The built in vsync in Fallout 4 seems to be triple buffered, such that the framerate doesn't 'snap' to 30 or 60, but can fluctuate between those two.

Anyone else out there having a similar experience with this 30FPS cap in fullscreen?