Fallout 4 0.293

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*master*

Re: Fallout 4 0.293

HBAO works fine as long as you use Neutral LUT's and Fr4nsson's Light Tweaks (Realistic Lights). HBAO is a bit overdone, but SSAO is highly under-done, although you can adjust settings for both. It is kind of weird to me that there are settings that can be adjusted to make either look different. Shouldn't it be a single static setting that computes it all and sets it accurately?
i7 8700K @ 5Ghz | ASUS Z370 Hero X WiFi | Corsair 16GB @ 3200Mhz | RTX 2070 Super @ 1950Mhz | Xonar DGX | 768GB NVMe SSD | 2TB HDD | Corsair 850W | LG 32GK850G-B 1440p 32' G-Sync 165Hz VA | Logitech G402 | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Windows 10 LTSC 1809

Fr4nsson's Light Tweaks + Enhanced Color Correction 'Original' Luts looks pretty good with the HBAO+ too imo. The HBAO+ is better than MCFX for AO, but damn does it eat fps.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

MonarchX wrote:HBAO works fine as long as you use Neutral LUT's and Fr4nsson's Light Tweaks (Realistic Lights). HBAO is a bit overdone, but SSAO is highly under-done, although you can adjust settings for both. It is kind of weird to me that there are settings that can be adjusted to make either look different. Shouldn't it be a single static setting that computes it all and sets it accurately?
Cutscenes anf Gameplay need different setups, you can balance on 1 and 1 will look more bad then the other based on the camera with HBAO+ it got better but with VX AO it gets much better.
refusedzero wrote:Fr4nsson's Light Tweaks + Enhanced Color Correction 'Original' Luts looks pretty good with the HBAO+ too imo. The HBAO+ is better than MCFX for AO, but damn does it eat fps.
if you think HBAO+ is slow just wait for VX AO becoming more popular ;)

I really wonder why would you use something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTjbE_twpKE
if you have ENB enabled ;)

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard

I enjoy the color Luts it uses and think it's less washed out than the Neutral Luts? All it does is change the color Luts, it's not some massive graphics mod. It gives the world a cool tone to build on that looks fantastic with my ENB. That video is not very great at demonstrating what it looks like in game.

Edit 1 - Is Fallout 4 going to adopt VX AO? I'm confused what you're talking about? Because I don't think HBAO+ is a huge killer when it's optimized well, which it doesn't seem to be for this game.

Edit 2 - Also, top comment on the Neutral LUT mod is someone showing how it's not neutral and that it changes the color white away from R255:G255:B255 to R235:G235:B235 (which is why I could never balance anything with it).

*master*

Base LUT's sRGB - Rec.709

I just made 2 sets of true neutral LUTs.

sRGB is 0-255
Rec.709 is 16-235

Though as far as I know UseOriginalColorFilter=false in ENB essentially does the same thing as the sRGB set, essentially bypassing Bethesda's color correction.

*master*

There is already a Neutral LUT mod out there, identical to the one posted on this image but with slightly higher file sizes.

Neutral LUT's work perfectly IF your monitor is accurately calibrated, which is essential and is the #1 basic requirements. Before applying ReShade effects, ENB settings or profiles, in-game brightness/gamma/contrast/etc. settings or other video-changing settings, a true modder absolutely must-have a properly calibrated monitor. Usual methods for calibration, such as ICC profiles or normal 1D LUT's, can only provide grayscale accuracy (white luminance, gamma, white balance, temperature, D65), which leaves 3 possible ways of having accurate colors, all of which require a decent colorimter (MINIMUM - ColorMunki Display or i1Display Pro) or spectrophotometer (MINIMUM ColorMunkiDisplay or i1Pro) + colorimter combination. None of the Spyder series colorimeters, including the latest and greatest, quality due to piss-poor accuracy, which is the very key for calibration. The 3 ways are:
1. Manual hardware OSD calibration, only high-end professional monitors have full calibration capabilities for an accurate image
2. External 3DLUT box, a very expensive device (~$500)
3. ArgyllCMS + dispcalGUI software package to create a 3DLUT for ReShade CustomFX TuningPalette effect <--- obviously the best possible option

You can't even judge games' or mods' visuals fully unless the above is performed. Neutral LUT's make Fallout 4's theme look more lore-friendly (closer to Fallout 2) than vanilla sunny skies + happy mood LUT's Bethesda applied, the same way CDPR applied HAPPY FANTASY LUT's to Witcher 3. Neutral LUT's do, however, require ENB and ReShade presets, as, well as, any kind of visual mods to be developed with them in-mind. Right now the highest-rated/endorsed ENB is Vogue ENB and after I talked with the developer, he released a Neutral LUT version of the Vogue ENB preset. I was really hoping for a similar release for Fr4nssons Light Tweaks, but I am not even certain if it makes any sense to use these Light Tweaks once Neutral LUT's are applied.

What in the world is VX AO?
Last edited by MonarchX on 22 Jan 2016, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
i7 8700K @ 5Ghz | ASUS Z370 Hero X WiFi | Corsair 16GB @ 3200Mhz | RTX 2070 Super @ 1950Mhz | Xonar DGX | 768GB NVMe SSD | 2TB HDD | Corsair 850W | LG 32GK850G-B 1440p 32' G-Sync 165Hz VA | Logitech G402 | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Windows 10 LTSC 1809

*master*

It is not identical. The other mod's files are not actually neutral. In fact, the file size difference should tell you they are not identical...

In addition to his capping at 235 white level, I found that contrast was also added.

VXAO is a different AO method. It uses voxels to calculate the ambient occlusion and is likely heavier on performance than HBAO+ while being more accurate. It is also not a screenspace effect like SSAO. It is calculated within the gameworld.

*master*

TreyM wrote:It is not identical. The other mod's files are not actually neutral. In fact, the file size difference should tell you they are not identical...

In addition to his capping at 235 white level, I found that contrast was also added.

VXAO is a different AO method. It uses voxels to calculate the ambient occlusion and is likely heavier on performance than HBAO+ while being more accurate. It is also not a screenspace effect like SSAO. It is calculated within the gameworld.
Ahh! Thanks! I will check yours out, although it didn't seem like the other Neutral LUT mod capped anything. White white seemed normal and so did Blackest Black, but game developers don't provide display calibration patterns to in-game options, so its rather hard to tell... I edited my post above, BTW. I know a calibrated display is not necessary to create Neutral LUT's, but its a necessity to properly and fully judge any game's visuals, visual modifications, and most importantly visual modification development.

Yea... I have a calibrated monitor, and Neutral Luts washes everything out. TreyM's Base LUTs (sRGB - Rec.709) are genuinely neutral and much easier to balance things with. Thx TreyM!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Like in Skyrim you can still get a totally ungraded Raw Camera output with teofis

But you gonna lose the AA from now on

I totally fallen in love with this new Pulsating Radioactive Style Hair Mesh Selection Shader :)

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard