Skyrim particle patch for ENB

general download section
  • Author

Re: Skyrim particle patch for ENB

I like these ideas.

Folding the tips upwards in places might also help to break the line.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this myself in Blender, but idk what workflow people are using for exporting and importing back into nifscope - importing as OBJ puts it on its side.

Hit me up if you make progress, I don't mind higher drawcalls if it means getting around this issue.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Nope, avoid extra draw calls at all costs. Increase poly count, not objects/meshes count. If this grass is usual one which DO HAVE point light applied from torch, then it is not instanced, so every small group of blades or even every blade is rendered individually, which is very cpu intense thing.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Alright, the assets I used in the original grass were pretty low quality and I have no idea where I got them years ago so I ended up creating a new grass. This one is longer and not as curly, so possibly it's not a good replacement for that short grass but here it is anyway. Grass clumps are now individual cards so it should render cleaner with less overdraw, with the clumps not forming visible rows. Polycount is pretty five times more but it's not as as bad as it sounds since the original meshes were very low poly. Also gave the new Intel tools a go and they worked nicely enough, especially the alpha scaling and dithering for mips seems neat. That said, there are still some artifacts especially at middle distance if you look closely.

4K: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1awLte ... Jwqq8SHHNR

Woah, great stuff - will play around with this and see what I can come up with.

I believe you can reduce some of the artifacting by disabling the 'cutout alpha' in the texture tools.

Boris thought you might have some guidance for me with my particle lights issue.

I run a modified NLVA preset on oldrim that uses particle lights because they're too awesome not to use and can run them more or less fine on my aging system except for areas where there is a high density of candles. I've been learning to use nifskope to examine the mpscandleflame mesh in the particle patch and have tried removing the particle light flag myself but not without visual bugs and need guidance on how to remove them for this mesh only.

Edit: I figured it out in Nifskope. Just had to change alpha blend flag from 4109 to 4844 for the candle flame mesh in the particle patch. Now my performance is silky smooth whilst still retaining particle lights for the sources that I actually care about in game. Candles are hardly noticeable without the effect. Thanks.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

That's great, it's indeed a simple thing like you found out.

There are a few additional options to help with performance without getting rid of the particle light completely. Depending on how significant performance gain you're looking for, one option perhaps worth trying would be to remove the flickering and only spawn one particle per candle since that should help with performance. Another one would be to adjust for more aggressive lodding for the candle flame emitter so that only the ones close to the camera actually spawn particles. And finally, you could lower the "iMaxDesired" parameter to reduce the number of concurrent particles globally.

LoD

Hey mindflux!

Do you know what could cause this issue? It's related to the particle lighting, as disabling it fixes the issue. Meshes are dlc01\soulcairn\sc_chest.nif, sc_chest01.nif and sc_chest02.nif.

https://imgur.com/a/ucA8IZY

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I think the mesh is buggy, at least that's how it looks to me. Adjusted things a bit for more pleasing visuals, try the latest version of the patch now.

LoD

That was quick, thanks! It's a vast improvement, but the effect is quite strong for me and appears angular under certain circumstances. https://imgur.com/a/rjp2oC8

sc_chest01.nif is also affected. https://imgur.com/a/ZPZotOx

sc_chest suffers from the same issue as well most likely (it is actually used, even though it has the wrong texture applied).

LoD

Am I allowed to use your modified assets (to adjust specular and gloss and to fix the texture path issue)? I will credit you ofc.

Edit: One more question:

Do you have an idea what could be the associated texture with the teleportation effect once you step on certain craters? https://imgur.com/a/ea5HMFP
I tried browsing the dlc01 effects folder, but didn't come across anything that remotely resembles this effect.
Last edited by LoD on 17 Apr 2020, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.