Skyrim SSE Water for ENB

general download section
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim SSE Water for ENB

It does seem difficult, pure transparent liquid is a very tricky element to render correctly even offline and I guess that's why most games don't even try to do it the "correct" way.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Okay, here is sphere and metaparticles as water with some little mudiness https://imgur.com/a/BdDa13z, obviously specular bring water to life, so hdr is the key to realistic water first of all, refraction itself not enough for Skyrim. This is without cubemap, just plane of background.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Good point, and that's looking vastly better already! Nice work.

Individual drops of water probably work better than large splashes?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

That's rendered in 3dsmax with background picture from skyrim, so its too early to be excited. Specular for normal map based water is not that easy as to draw raytraced refraction and reflection of 3d models.
Individual drops for water are never big enough to be visible in game on practice, so they need heavy antialiazing in the shader and be made from tiny ones. But i can't tell for sure, maybe greater dramatic effect is to make larger, it's for future experimenting, first need find out way to make this look good enough, now it sucks.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Yes, good points. Maybe something in between in size, so as not to be too small to see and not so large that they start to look like planes.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Ehh, what a trash and no ideas how to make something good looking. Maybe not possible via particle system at all
https://imgur.com/a/6wXpwXK here are with and without specular, not change much. In movement not any better, not remind water splashes at all, but rather some half broken plastic bags full of water. I tried to make fake refraction look close enough to raytraced, but nothing changed. With my own texture the same problem. Maybe heavily depends from texture, but i doubt via particle system possible to make correct directional splash. I give up, maybe later will find some idea.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Meh, but makes sense I guess... Maybe small splashes that have a tail would work the best, but that still leaves the problem of the shape of the droplet and the direction of the travel not matching at all. Or maybe a smaller splash that only lives for a shorter time so it wouldn't be as obvious.

There's some consolation to be had in the fact that the game's splash also looks horrible when you actually pause the game and look at it.

I'll look at the particle system later and try to figure whether it's possible to rotate the uv based on the particle trajectory but I too doubt it.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Hey Master of Water do you by any chance know which texture or file handles the watersplash from walking in the rain?
Looks weird in my setup and I fear this either isn't handled by your mod, or I have overwritten it with some crap.
Save my Skyrim :-)
Thank you very much.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Interesting... when and where do you see that effect? I don't remember ever seeing something like that.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Edit: My bad, found the mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/644

It's this one

Let's rework that :)
Last edited by Pfuscher on 23 Jan 2020, 19:36, edited 3 times in total.