Move data files to "data" folder

fixing bugs
  • Author

Move data files to "data" folder

It's not a bug, but a feature request (there's no requests sub-forum now, so posting here).

ENBSeries for Skyrim could benefit if most of its configs/shaders/etc. were placed inside "data" folder.

Why? Because mod managers like Wrye Bash and Nexus Mod Manager can only put files inside "data" folder.
Why mod managers cannot put files into the main folder? Security. See my question and Wrye Bash author response: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/131708 ... __19946055

So if all files in ENBSeries (except d3d9.dll) could be put into data folder, then it can be installed/uninstalled/updated much much easier than now with only a single manual step (copying the dll). Actually, the uninstall of ENBSeries presets is the most painful process when trying to check presets done by different people.

For example, tapioks in this mod viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33 did some moving of files into data folder, but it also means that it can overwrite some other mods (or some other mods can overwrite tapioks's files). Wrye Bash normally tracks such conflicts, but it cannot do anything with manually installed files.

The implementation of this feature is quite simple: check whether file ./data/enb/enbseries.ini exists; if yes, load it; if not, load ./enbseries.ini. If it's loaded from ./data/enb/ then future relative file path resolutions could be done from that base.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Move data files to "data" folder

I have no idea why to do this. Security doesn't matter in case of ENBSeries mod and anything related to it's presets. If presets are deeper in folders then harder to find them for users and i'll recieve tons of new questions (have them already). Mod manager can't be used with ENBSeries, because it's for native mods only, imagine if it would managed 4gb patch? Same for my mod.

MicS

ENBSeries wrote:I have no idea why to do this.
Idea is to install and uninstall presets as a consistent set of files using an existing mod manager.
ENBSeries wrote:Security doesn't matter in case of ENBSeries mod and anything related to it's presets.
Sure, it doesn't for ENBSeries, it's a good mod not doing anything shady. But it's an issue for mod manager.
ENBSeries wrote:If presets are deeper in folders then harder to find them for users and i'll recieve tons of new questions (have them already).
That may actually improve things if all files related to ENBSeries presets (except d3d9.dll) are in a single folder. That would be easier to find all related files.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Separate folder for enbseries files sounds better for me. I even tried to use .exe version of the mod running in tray, but not finished it yet for Skyrim (because of game launcher and 4gb unofficial patch).